Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maury

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
You might want to take a moment and download avidemux2. It's _almost_ the perfect transcode app. You can get it here here:

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

For one thing, it's VERY fast. I converted a 2 hour 720p from MKV to M4V in about 10 minutes total, most of that was reading the file in. In comparison, Subler reads very quickly, but takes a very long time to write out the resulting file, a significant amount of the time it takes to re-code the entire thing in HB.

For another, the basic layout of the operations screen is pretty much what you need. You select the Video, Audio and Formats you want, and either Copy or convert them into that format. This is way simpler in both concept and use than either HB or Subler.

But it has its problems too:

1) the icons look like they were scraped from a Win98 program. The whole UI looks dated.

2) I see no reason for the player interface in the main window, it just takes up room IMHO.

3) There's no indication of what the original format was, only the output format.

4) There's any number of "one off" capabilities that different machines have that mean a direct copy won't work, or would work better. Consider Subler's "fix" to lay out the m4V file to re-enable quick start for instance.

5) No tagging support.

Even with these problems, it seems to me that avidemux2 is much closer to what we want than Subler. As a starting point for development into the perfect app, this seems to be a lot closer.

Give it a try everyone!

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Looks interesting. I still need to figure out what it does and how, but looks like it has some tools....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.