Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 6, 2010, 04:54 PM   #1
serendib
macrumors newbie

Handbrake is taking forever/not converting

I uploaded my DVD via Mac the Ripper and am now wanting to convert my VOB files with Handbrake so I can edit in Final Cut Express.

I open up my Handbrake, set the source to the VOB file, with an AVI output format (I've also tried MP4). At the bottom of the application, the "Encodingass 1 of 1, 100.00%" bar fills all the way. I click on "Show Queue" and it says "0 encode(s) pending, Encoding: pass 1 of 1, 100.00%". But the icon by the file is a spinning orange circle, indicating that something is still happening/the conversion is not complete.

I left my computer open and on 24 hours and it still had not completed one file. HELP!
serendib is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 05:05 PM   #2
spinnerlys

I can't help you with that specific problem, but maybe have a look at the Handbrake forum.

What I want to tell you, .avi and .mp4 files, especially ones with the Divx / Xvid or H264 codec, which are all MPEG-4 codecs, are not meant for video editing. Handbrake even states in its FAQ.
It is better to use MPEG Streamclip and the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component for Mac OS X to transcode MPEG-2 encoded .vob files to .mov files either using the DV or Apple Intermediate Codec, as they are meant for editing and won't force FCE/P to render the timeline all the time.

If you use you will find plenty of threads on how to get DVD video into an editing application.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store