Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Technology
Anything related to technology... any decade, any century! Be creative!

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'm surprised there aren't a ton of pictures here yet.

Here's one... this is the dome on top of the German Parliament building in Berlin which is a hundred year-old building, modified with some pretty amazing modern-day technology. The conical array of mirrors under the dome, funnels day light into the parliament chamber below (purple seats). A shade rotates automatically with the sun to prevent glare and I presume cooking elected officials like ants under a magnifying glass :). This whole affair dramatically increase the light in the main chambers during the day without having to rely on artificial lighting. The public is allowed to tour around it, with a ramp that spirals up to the dome.

p725946575-5.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Cutting blades from a now dismantled sugar mill in Maui. These blades were for the initial chopping of the cane.

Attachments

• Blade-2b.jpg
    Blade-2b.jpg
    923.2 KB · Views: 169

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
4307243803_9452e543e7.jpg

This projector was state of the art back in 1930's. :) lol This photo took a lot of work. Its a HDR, I setup the studio lights to get the lighting the way I wanted and I positioned all of the things in the image.

Full size version here

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Dang, time goes fast! Admittedly I forgot about this topic :eek:

VirtualRain: Not surprised to see another great photo from you. Super crisp, great colour, nice location. The only thing I'd like to change was maybe zooming out a tiny bit more to the entire dome was captures. But I suspect you tried your best to get the whole structure in.

jpfisher: This is pretty much exactly what I had in mind when I hoped people would think of technology from the past. Love it!

deep diver: A nice minimalistic approach to the topic. Only wish it was a bit sharper.

Presha: I remember I hosted a competition a few months ago, and a hospital photo was submitted then (it might have been from you), and I loved it. I really like this one too. Technology that saves lives = wicked!

Designer Dale: Haha yes. I think at this point in my life I need some more love and patience. If only it was as simple as turning a wheel. Interesting, and thought provoking photo.

kcvensel: Trains, for me, have always been very unique and complex technology. You've really captures that exact complexity in this photo.

JDDavis: Face value, very impressive. The black and white adds a good dynamic to this photo. Perhaps some more information would be useful, because I don't know what I'm looking at.

gatepc: Awesome, antique technology! The subject, lighting, and colour grading are all great. I'm just a bit disappointed in the way it is framed.

CK Williams: This photo reminds me of the opening scene from 2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984). The sky is very dynamic which I like. The only thing I'd change is to either completely silhouette the Radio Telescope, or not - it's kind of in-between.

luminosity: Nice angle and the B&W adds a mysterious dynamic to it.

I'm really surprised by the good photos this week. I was expecting a lot of pictures of gadgets from people's rooms (not even one Mac was submitted!). Good job everyone. Here are the top 3 photographs for this week as judged by me:

1. jpfisher

2. Designer Dale

3. gatepc

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Congrats Jpfisher and great shot. I knew it was top 3 the moment I saw it. Great shots all around really.

Nathan - it may have been better for me to explain it a little. I didn't have much for technology last week. It's actually a display in the American History Museum in the science and invention section. It's not really technology but more artwork. I can't remember the artist name but there are several moving sculptures like this that are basically geared machines. This one was basically mimicking a flock of birds. Fascinating to watch at least.

Great job judging and thanks for the feedback. :)

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Hey Congrtas Jpfisher! Also, Kcvensel, love that locomotive shot..freakin' awesome HDR shot!

I would agree. Well done HDR that works well with the shot and is not HDR just for the sake of it. If I could offer one critique it's that little bit of space above the leaf spring in top center where you can see through to what's behind the train. I don't know what you could do with it and you may not feel the same, but for me it's distracting. It keeps pulling my eye there and pulling my brain back to reality. This may sound a little out there but I think it's a very imaginative pic that lets your mind wander regardless of time frame or location but then that little bit of space keeps snapping me back to the present and the reality of that train being a static display in some town. Hope that makes some kind of sense and it's just a suggestion. :)

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
Thanks for the kind words everyone! If you're in the area, the Edison Labs are a fun way to spend an afternoon -- lots of amazing technology there, but make sure to take some fast glass and a camera with a decent ISO range or, in my case, 1600 speed film. ;)

Posting the new challenge in a few minutes...

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Nice group of photos in this contest, I think this is one of the best sets in recent memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.