Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckr4282

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
Hi,

I'm looking for a code editor app for iPad--I code mainly in Java right now. Thanks!

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
any text editor will do. Unless you're looking for an IDE. I don't think there are any for the App Store. I'm not completely sure about this, but I don't think they're allowed with the current rules Apple has.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Not possible AFAIK.

Best idea is to use a VNC app to connect to a desktop. Then you have the portability of the iPad allied with a full blown-IDE like Eclipse.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Unless you're looking for an IDE. I don't think there are any for the App Store.

LOL, good one. I would suppose an IDE would be allowed, as long as it doesn't permit testing the code on the iPad. That would involve interpretation, unless it is a compiled language. And in the latter case, there's a rule that an app can't download or install additional code as well.

I'm not sure why others are saying "not possible" for editor. An editor is just that - an editor. I'm sure they'll allow you to edit anything you'd like.

As a practical matter, there's the concern of "where are the files I am going to edit". Any good editor for iPad should allow you to edit local files, as well as access popular cloud services, and upload/download (perhaps transparently, making it LOOK like you are doing a remote-edit) using FTP, sFTP, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.