Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WERA Cannoli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Does anyone know first hand if the iPad 3G will work? I'm going on a dive charter and want to be able to check weather conditions and keep in contact with people back home.

TIA

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I've never taken an iPad over there but since no one has responded yet I'll give the information I know. I have an at&t phone and you do have service over there (I don't remember if it was 3G or EDGE) but roaming charges are ridiculous. I don't have a data plan so I don't know how much the data charges are but the messages and calls are pretty high. So to kind of answer your original question. It will most likely work but you'll have roaming charges.

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
It's going to be expensive. My girlfriend's friend just got back from a cruise there and a 40 minute phone call ended up costing her $472. Granted that was making a call but If it's anything like how they charge the iPhone, then expect to have a bill much, much larger than normal when using data. Even texting will be expensive.

Personally, I'd recommend logging off the internet and enjoying being disconnected for the time you will be gone but I can't speak for you obviously. :)

Aeroplane

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
If you're staying at a hotel why don't you use wifi (if available) to use internet like any other laptop/pc, don't use your data plan there. want to keep contact with people using ipad? how? chat and social networks? use local wifi spots!

cruise calls are ridiculously high and i think you're only meant to use in case of emergencies, 40 minute call to a cruise? :confused::eek:

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
If you can get Hotel WiFi, do it, but be aware that AT&T will rape you (that $472 quoted above is about right).

You might want to get AT&T international for a month and save yourself the headache.

Read some of the iPhone horror stories about AT&T's international billing practices.

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
I just got back from Jamaica and my best bet was bringing along my Airport Express because the hotel (check to see what WiFi services are offered for rooms) only had wired connections and I needed wireless. So the Express came in handy - but bandwidth was throttled by the hotel. So plan accordingly - do your research.

WERA Cannoli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Thanks for all the great info. I'm going to be on a live-aboard, so no hotel Wifi. I will need limited access to the internet so the international plan may have to do. I was hoping it would be as easy as buying a SIM like I do when in Europe. I guess not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.