Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Shanewilliams
macrumors 6502a

New iPhone, Do you lose your apps and music?

When the new iPhone comes out I plan to purchase it. Now, do I lose all the apps that I've purchased as well as the music? I think the answer is yes but I'm not to sure. Just trying to find out for sure. It's a app I want but no sense buying it if it's not going to carry over, I'd do better to wait.
Shanewilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:42 AM   #2
JamesHP
macrumors regular

No, the apps are all linked to your iTunes account so you can get them back, and obviously if you have your music in iTunes you'll be able to sync it back.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Tara Luvs Apple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanewilliams View Post
When the new iPhone comes out I plan to purchase it. Now, do I lose all the apps that I've purchased as well as the music? I think the answer is yes but I'm not to sure. Just trying to find out for sure. It's a app I want but no sense buying it if it's not going to carry over, I'd do better to wait.
As long as you sync your old iPhone beforehand to transfer all of the apps, songs, movies, etc. to iTunes, it will all transfer to the new iPhone. The only reason it would not is if you use a new iTunes account or if you do not sync music or apps to iTunes.

The only thing you might be losing (if you do not restore from a back-up) would be any achievements within those apps. I am not sure about this part though.
Tara Luvs Apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:32 AM   #4
cobie454
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to cobie454
What they said. ^
cobie454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Shanewilliams
macrumors 6502a

Thanks! So if I've added apps or music since my last backup I need to do another backup so they will carry over correct?
Shanewilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Tara Luvs Apple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanewilliams View Post
Thanks! So if I've added apps or music since my last backup I need to do another backup so they will carry over correct?
Yes. That is really only for music. Apps can be re-downloaded for free. Music can be downloaded again, but you will pay again. Just to be on the safe side, I would back up one last time.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:53 AM   #7
paulg1979
macrumors member

So does that mean my 3 stars on every level on Angry birds is going to be lost?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Tara Luvs Apple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg1979 View Post
So does that mean my 3 stars on every level on Angry birds is going to be lost?
I am not sure, but maybe. I have heard that if you restore from back-up that things carry over. However, I do not sync my apps because of this. When I switched computers, I was informed that all of my achievements would be gone. I think that this happened to my husband as well.

I am not at the point where it is keep everything or lose it to the new iPhone. So far, my high score and achievements in Yahtzee is not winning.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone