Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Carlos E
Banned

iPhone 4 No Contract Price

From Gizmodo. iPhone 4 no commitment prices are 16GB $599 & 32GB $699.

Carlos E is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Carlos E
Banned

ATT Press Release

ATT Press Release

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=30863

AT&T to Offer iPhone 4 on June 24
Best Pricing Immediately Available to Any iPhone Customer Eligible for Upgrade in 2010 Preordering for iPhone 4 and New $99 iPhone 3GS 8GB Available June 15 at AT&T Retail and Online Stores

Dallas, Texas, June 07, 2010
ShareThis

AT&T*, the U.S. smartphone leader, today announced it will offer iPhone 4, the thinnest smartphone ever with all-new design, FaceTime video calling, Apple's stunning new Retina display, 5 megapixel camera and HD video recording. iPhone 4 will be available for a suggested retail price of $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB model, in company retail stores and online at www.att.com/iphone, plus business channels, beginning June 24. Customers can preorder starting June 15.

To let current iPhone customers quickly upgrade to iPhone 4, AT&T will make its best pricing immediately available to any iPhone customer who would be upgrade eligible for a discounted device by the end of 2010.

“This is another very exciting day for AT&T customers,” said Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “By teaming with Apple to deliver an extraordinary device over the nation’s fastest 3G network, we’re enabling our customers to access their favorite social networks and favorite business applications.”

“We know that people are eager to get iPhone 4, which is why we moved up the upgrade eligibility date for current iPhone customers by up to six months. This move, combined with the new wireless data plans we announced last week, will make it more affordable for more people to purchase an iPhone and enjoy the benefits of the mobile Internet.”

In addition, a new iPhone 3GS 8GB for $99 will also be available on June 24.

Pricing
iPhone 4 and the new iPhone 3GS 8GB will be available at a variety of attractive price points for customers:

DEVICE NEW EARLY UPGRADE NO COMMITMENT
iPhone 4 16GB $199 $399 $599
iPhone 4 32GB $299 $499 $699
iPhone 3GS (8GB) $99 $299 $499

All new and current iPhone customers who are upgrade eligible, plus existing customers who choose to upgrade early must agree to a two-year term commitment, and select an eligible voice and data plan for iPhone. No Commitment pricing does not require a two-year term commitment, but does require both voice and data service.
Carlos E is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:27 PM   #3
California King
macrumors 6502a

Are the "no commitment" phone factory unlocked? Doesn't AT&T sell 3GS's that are factory unlocked for around that price?
California King is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:32 PM   #4
beamer8912
macrumors 65816

Nope, they're are NOT factory unlocked, tied to AT&T just like all other iPhones sold in the U.S.
beamer8912 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:29 PM   #5
hepike
macrumors newbie

without contract

Hy.

I am from hungary(my english is not so good) and I will spend 3 months in the USA (the whole summer). Btw, I really like the new iPhone 4, and I want to buy one. But I have a problem: I don't have an American address. So can I buy a new iPhone without 2 year contracts and with my Hungarian address(for 599$-699$) in any AT&T store?

Thanks!
hepike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:31 PM   #6
omizzle
macrumors regular

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be cheaper to sign a contract and pay the ETF (vs. buying outright)?

$199/$299 Subsidized + $325 ETF= $524/$624
omizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:33 PM   #7
Marty Macfly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omizzle View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be cheaper to sign a contract and pay the ETF (vs. buying outright)?

Plus the cost of the first month of service (because you don't own your phone until 30 days into the contract), plus the activation fee.

So add about $70 to that. That makes it $594/$694. No difference.
Marty Macfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:35 PM   #8
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by California King View Post
Are the "no commitment" phone factory unlocked? Doesn't AT&T sell 3GS's that are factory unlocked for around that price?
No.
No factory unlocked iphones sold in the US at all.
Its No commitment but still locked to AT&T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepike View Post
Hy.

I am from hungary(my english is not so good) and I will spend 3 months in the USA (the whole summer). Btw, I really like the new iPhone 4, and I want to buy one. But I have a problem: I don't have an American address. So can I buy a new iPhone without 2 year contracts and with my Hungarian address(for 599$-699$) in any AT&T store?

Thanks!
Probably not.
They wont let you open an account unless you live in the US and have a social security number to do a credit check etc....
Buy a factory unlocked iphone 4 from Ebay or other sites online.
All US iphones are locked to AT&T so they wont work with your carrier in Hungary unless you hack it and jump thru many hoops.
So not as easy.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:36 PM   #9
adammull
macrumors regular

Yeah but my ETF is only $175 on my 3GS. They only raised NEW ETF's. So why would I pay $599 for iPhone 4?
adammull is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:48 PM   #10
CJayC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammull View Post
Yeah but my ETF is only $175 on my 3GS. They only raised NEW ETF's. So why would I pay $599 for iPhone 4?
Why should we have to convince you? If you don't want it, don't buy it.
CJayC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:00 PM   #11
Apollo33
macrumors regular

Quote:

Edit: Oh, you're right. That's silly. Especially considering that the ETF drops $10 each month.

I think the guy from Hungary wanted to know if he could get an unlocked phone... and the answer to that is NO. AT&T doesn't sell unlocked iPhones, and moreover they refuse to unlock them. (It's the only phone they do this for, claiming that they can do it because they have the exclusive contract with Apple... for the US)

However, I have a "dumb" phone which starts at $150 ETF (down recently from $175) which decreases by $4 each month... By the time the iPhone comes out, I'd just have to pay $110 ETF. It seems to me that $199+$110 sounds much better than $399.
Apollo33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:10 PM   #12
omizzle
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Macfly View Post
Plus the cost of the first month of service (because you don't own your phone until 30 days into the contract), plus the activation fee.

So add about $70 to that. That makes it $594/$694. No difference.
Well I won't count what I pay monthly since I would pay that whether or not I upgraded
omizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 02:23 AM   #13
munnie mouse
macrumors newbie

ok so i'm a U.S resident with. a ss # and everything
but im in the Bahamas for a bit because i'm a citizen here
and i'm taking a break here before i start college.

i want to buy the iphone with no commitment,
but i want it unlocked to work over here in the Bahamas.

it can be unlocked correct?
and will it even work over here...
im sure it will it has gsm 1800 just like the other previous iphones
because people over here have the 3gs & iphone...

i just have to find someone to unlock it right...?

i think it can be done in Florida @ the Swap Shop...
munnie mouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 03:35 AM   #14
hepike
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
No.
No factory unlocked iphones sold in the US at all.
Its No commitment but still locked to AT&T.

Probably not.
They wont let you open an account unless you live in the US and have a social security number to do a credit check etc....
Buy a factory unlocked iphone 4 from Ebay or other sites online.
All US iphones are locked to AT&T so they wont work with your carrier in Hungary unless you hack it and jump thru many hoops.
So not as easy.
Thank You,

I have a Social Security Number, becuse I used to work in the US.
I thaught to the ebay before. Just a little bit afraid of that. Is that enough safe? I have never used the ebay(we have an ebay like webpage: "vatera" and I use a lot). And how does the guarantee work.

And what happen, if I ask one of my co-worker to help me to buy an iPhone?
I don't care about carrier.

Summary:
Can I buy a new iPhone 4 without 2-year contract and with an American friend, in the AT&T store?
hepike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 04:06 AM   #15
pika2000
macrumors 6502a

If you want an officially unlocked iPhone 4, wait till July, and buy them from Hong Kong/Singapore, as iPhones in those countries are unlocked out of the box, even the subsidized/under contract ones.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 04:27 AM   #16
planemechanic
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post
If you want an officially unlocked iPhone 4, wait till July, and buy them from Hong Kong/Singapore, as iPhones in those countries are unlocked out of the box, even the subsidized/under contract ones.

That's my plan.
planemechanic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:03 AM   #17
ThugZilla
macrumors regular

Since the AT&T fee for early termination is $150 for dumb phones, say if I buy an iPhone, put the sim in an unlocked Razr, and call them to say that I gave the phone to a friend, would the ETF lower to $150?
ThugZilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:19 AM   #18
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugZilla View Post
Since the AT&T fee for early termination is $150 for dumb phones, say if I buy an iPhone, put the sim in an unlocked Razr, and call them to say that I gave the phone to a friend, would the ETF lower to $150?
No because the whole point of the ETF is in case you break contract on the more expensive smart phone. so you only paid $299 for the iphone for example but AT&T paid Apple $599 so AT&T isn't going to just lower your ETF to $150 when they fronted $300 for you.
bigjnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:20 PM   #19
onqun
macrumors member

how are you going to buy it from HonkKong or Singapore ? Do they ship to us? Does it work with tmobile? Is there a difference between os's? if I connect my computer in us is it still okay, is it going to be still unlocked?
onqun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:10 AM   #20
California King
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post
Wouldn't they charge MUCH higher prices?
California King is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:22 AM   #21
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugZilla View Post
No, ETF won't change.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:27 AM   #22
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Who sells these unsubsidized phones, Apple stores or ATT stores?
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:37 AM   #23
Tyre
macrumors regular

Quote:
Well I won't count what I pay monthly since I would pay that whether or not I upgraded
The point is that you would have to pay for a full month of AT&T to get the iPhone and assuming that you want it unlocked so you can go to another carrier, you would then have to pay that monthly fee as well. So it would be iPhone + ETF + First month of AT&T + first month of new carrier.

If that is worth it to you, go ahead.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 04:38 AM   #24
pika2000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by California King View Post
Wouldn't they charge MUCH higher prices?
In Singapore, even subsidized iPhones under contract (which with some plans, the iPhone is free) are unlocked out of the box. There's no such thing as "provider-locking."
Old Jun 24, 2010, 04:25 PM   #25
Pukey
macrumors 6502

About a no commitment iPhone 4...
If you bought an iPhone 4 without commitment could you still use Skype with just WiFi? I suppose you wouldn't be able to use the GSM service for VoIP unless you signed up with AT&T. So, don't they have a "Pay As You Go" plan for iPhone 4? Also, what about buying an iPhone 4 from say the Australian store when it's available over there? I think they might sell iPhones unlocked. Basically I'm trying to find out a way around AT&T while still being able to use the GSM service so I can eliminate monthly telephone bills. I have no problem paying for Skype calls as they are much more reasonable.
Pukey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone