Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not so sure I understand the point of the post, but that is how I understand it as well. 30-day no questions asked return policy avoids the early termination fee if you're a newer customer. Older customers with iPhones won't suffer that same fate I believe.

But anyway, was there a question or were you clearing the air for some general forum confusion?

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
Not so sure I understand the point of the post, but that is how I understand it as well. 30-day no questions asked return policy avoids the early termination fee if you're a newer customer. Older customers with iPhones won't suffer that same fate I believe.

But anyway, was there a question or were you clearing the air for some general forum confusion?

It's the same with any new phone and contract. If you cancel your upgrade within 30 days, you will revert back to your previous contract. Of course, the new iPhone will have to be returned.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
It's the same with any new phone and contract. If you cancel your upgrade within 30 days, you will revert back to your previous contract. Of course, the new iPhone will have to be returned.

I'm talking about a new customer sorry. What that still apply?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Actually, if you buy the phone at say Apple and attempt to cancel your data/voice plan with AT&T I don't think they can force you to return the phone to Apple, can they? The point of the early term fee being so high was to retain customers and to cover the so-called subsidy pricing.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Actually, if you buy the phone at say Apple and attempt to cancel your data/voice plan with AT&T I don't think they can force you to return the phone to Apple, can they? The point of the early term fee being so high was to retain customers and to cover the so-called subsidy pricing.

That's what I was thinking, I mean you buy the phone from Apple and after a few days you decide to call At&t and cancel you service. So they don't charge you any termination fees but you need to finish paying you first mont of service. Now you keep the iPhone and that's it no? I'll try it out..

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas

Within 30 days and no termination fee will require the phone to be returned.

AT&T reserve the right to add the service back if you cancel required service (like data), or charge you full price for the phone if not returned. Read the small print :) It doesn't matter where it's bought, the contract is with AT&T not Apple.

Anyone can try, but it's not going to work.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That's what I was thinking, I mean you buy the phone from Apple and after a few days you decide to call At&t and cancel you service. So they don't charge you any termination fees but you need to finish paying you first mont of service. Now you keep the iPhone and that's it no? I'll try it out..

Within 30 days and no termination fee will require the phone to be returned.

AT&T reserve the right to add the service back if you cancel required service (like data), or charge you full price for the phone if not returned. Read the small print :) It doesn't matter where it's bought, the contract is with AT&T not Apple.

Anyone can try, but it's not going to work.

Ok, for giggles I just called AT&T and asked them, twice. One response was the phone must be returned back to Apple and they will contact Apple to ensure this happened. When I called bullshat and asked for her boss I was told that the phone would not have to be returned but the early term fee would need to be paid.

You have to think about it. If you buy a phone today and lose it tomorrow they can't force you to return said missing phone. However, they can flag your IMEI number.

It's a crap shoot really but I don't think they can force you to return the phone but they can make you pay. When I was with LA Cellular I had a Moto flip phone bought at the subsidized price. I cancelled the contract about 6 months into it and was charged $700 for the phone, the charge went on my phone bill. When I disputed the charges they said I can return the phone (2 years later) or pay the cost of the unsubsidized phone.

I really don't see you coming out as a winner here if you buy the phone, cancel service and expect to keep said phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.