Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Since FaceTime isn't a phone call how do you contact another party? Do you use there email address or is there some other IP based identifier that will be added to Contacts?

EDIT: I see Apple says "Just find her entry in your Contacts and tap the FaceTime button". Does this mean that other iPhone 4 users (or future FaceTime enabled devices) in your Contacts will have the FaceTime button enabled automatically or is it something you must configure?

Rhalliwell1

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Since FaceTime isn't a phone call how do you contact another party? Do you use there email address or is there some other IP based identifier that will be added to Contacts?

I think it will be very similar to Skype. Either username/Apple ID/Email.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I have a feeling it will be connected to mobileMe, thus the rumored of freemium model for MobileMe, so everybody will have an account.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I am assuming it uses the phone number to do the connection. Obviously there is some sort of middleman service to link calls up, but it looks like it just uses a phone number.

biohazardous

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2008
For the sake of the Deaf Community --

I sure hope that a phone call is not required to establish connection because 90 percent of deaf people I know that has iPhone has the data only plans.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
In the keynote, Jobs makes it seem like you call the third party, then click a icon or something, and somehow it connects to the third party's iPhone based on their phone number, then connects via FaceTime.

But that would make zero sense for the iPod touch and the iPad, so I'm just as clueless.

I really hope it's not tied to MobileMe or some such. It should be an open system, similar to XMPP/Jabber and the such. We don't need another AIM (**** AOL).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.