Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 14, 2004, 08:41 PM   #1
andypop
macrumors newbie

powerbook/ibook AC adapter

I'm confused about the AC adapter that ships with the newer Powerbooks & iBooks.

I have month-old Powerbook that came with a 45-watt adapter. Page 76 in the November issue of Macworld magazine says "current iBooks and Powerbooks ship with a 65-watt AC adapter that powers the machines and recharges the battery. If you've moved up from an iBook (dual USB) or a Titanium Powerbook G4, you can use the older machine's 45-watt adapter as an extra charger for the new Macs, but Apple doesn't recommend it: that wattage is enough to keep you working but not enough to charge the battery at the same time."

I was talking to a friend who has a TiBook and he said his is 65-watts. So does Macworld just have it backwards, or am I mistakingly using an older adapter?

thanks for replying!
Old Oct 14, 2004, 08:51 PM   #2
RGunner
macrumors 6502a

as far as i know...

all new powerbooks and ibooks (not refurbed) come with a 65 watt charger.

check the product number and see if it matches what the invoice says (or technical documents?)

call Apple perhaps? or wherever you purchased as well?
RGunner is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2004, 09:06 PM   #3
andypop
macrumors newbie

I'm one of the people who was having a problem with the green (charged) light pulsing if the adapter was unplugged/replugged while the powerbook was asleep.

I called Apple, and after a few calls, they decided to replace my adapter -- they sent me another 45-watt adapter, and it still does it.

Are you absolutely sure all Powerbooks (even the 12" model) are shipped with a 65-watt adapter? If so, I'm thinking that might be the cause of my pulsing light.

btw, my Powerbook is 1 month old -- how long have they been shipping with 65-watt adapters?
Old Oct 17, 2004, 03:19 PM   #4
andypop
macrumors newbie

figured it out..

the 15 & 17 inch models come with a 65-watt adapter. The 12" models still use the 45-watt.

thanks though.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 06:58 PM   #5
yakisoba
macrumors member

12" PB question

I have both a 15" and 12" PB. The 15 has the 65W adapter and the 12" has the 45W adapter. The 65W adapter also puts out half a volt more. Obviously, I wouldn't expect the 45W to run and charge the 15" PB very well. But, although I have labeled the adapters and am pretty careful about things, I can see someday accidentally plugging the 65W into the 12" PB. Will that be a problem? Am I going to toast anything?
yakisoba is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers