Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This would be interesting, if we could use iChat on our Mac and connect to Facetime enabled devices such as iPhone 4.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I wouldn't doubt that it would be available. It seems to me that the clear long-term goal is cross platform connection. If you own any significant apple product, it will offer some funcitonality and connectivity to other apple products.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I was surprised they didn’t just call it iChat. I don’t fully understand why they decided to create an entirely new product out of it and go through the trouble of purchasing the trademark, etc.

Seems logical that it would connect to iChat users, but they didn’t announce that so I wouldn’t count on it.

kaoticsnow

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
I was surprised they didn’t just call it iChat. I don’t fully understand why they decided to create an entirely new product out of it and go through the trouble of purchasing the trademark, etc.

Don't forget they are creating this as an open standard. if it does not work with ichat out of the box I'm sure it will be added at a later date. or at least some other desktop app that will function with it.

Mkz

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Manchester, UK
I was reallyreally hoping they were going to announce iChat with some sort of iPhone to iPhone messaging. That would have been brilliant.

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
I'm hoping that they have made it iPhone to iPhone only so that they can sell a few more phones initially to people buying for their partners so that they have someone to talk to.

iChat will proabably have it enabled very soon. As others have said if it really is open, then it will follow on other IM clients as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.