Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:45 PM   #1
phishindsn
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Thumbs down Facetime on wi-fi only?

Ok after watching the promo video I noticed that is stated both caller and receiver have to be on wi-fi to use Facetime. Ok doesn't that really avoid having the ability to chat via video anywhere as advertised. Now when I am on business trip I have to hunt around for wi-fi just to use FaceTime...so what is the video chat really gaining me?
__________________
20" iMac, iPad 1&2, iPhone 4 / Samsung Note 2, 13" MacBookPro, 15" MacBookPro, appletv 160GB
phishindsn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Mystikal
macrumors 68020
 
Mystikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Send a message via AIM to Mystikal
Jailbreak when its out and then you can video chat anywhere.
Mystikal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:46 PM   #3
Marty Macfly
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Jailbreak when its out and then you can video chat anywhere.
With... an iPhone 4 user...
Marty Macfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:46 PM   #4
PhoneI
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by phishindsn View Post
Now when I am on business trip I have to hunt around for wi-fi just to use FaceTime...so what is the video chat really gaining me?
The ability to video chat on wifi
PhoneI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:46 PM   #5
noobinator
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pasadena, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by phishindsn View Post
Ok after watching the promo video I noticed that is stated both caller and receiver have to be on wi-fi to use Facetime. Ok doesn't that really avoid having the ability to chat via video anywhere as advertised. Now when I am on business trip I have to hunt around for wi-fi just to use FaceTime...so what is the video chat really gaining me?
It is bringing you video chat when you have WIFI.
noobinator is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:46 PM   #6
IBradMac
macrumors 68000
 
IBradMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ohio
Send a message via AIM to IBradMac
Do you really think AT&T can handle it? Seriously?

Remember, we have multitasking now. I suspect data usage will surge because of this.
IBradMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:48 PM   #7
Revelation78
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Christiansburg, VA
Send a message via AIM to Revelation78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Macfly View Post
With... an iPhone 4 user...
Until apps on other phones/computers offer it for more devices.
__________________
iPhone 4 32GB
iPad
15" Al Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, 500 GB Seagate 7200 RPM, 4GB Crucial Ram
Revelation78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:48 PM   #8
Squid7085
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lawrence, KS
Send a message via AIM to Squid7085
According to Steve, it is WiFi only for now. He mentioned something about needing to work things out with the carriers. Which doesn't surprise me, they will want to charge an arm and a leg for the feature, which ironically, is probably what is causing Video calling to fail in the US currently.
__________________
 2014 13" MacBook Air  2008 15" MacBook Pro  2013 Mac mini  20" Cinema Displays  iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB  iPad mini Space Gray 32GB  Apple TV
Squid7085 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:50 PM   #9
Marty Macfly
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation78 View Post
Until apps on other phones/computers offer it for more devices.
Do you really think that anyone besides Apple will offer this on their phone, much less a computer? Especially since Apple holds the rights to it and they won't even let their own computer users use it?
Marty Macfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:54 PM   #10
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Macfly View Post
Do you really think that anyone besides Apple will offer this on their phone, much less a computer? Especially since Apple holds the rights to it and they won't even let their own computer users use it?
Uhm...why wouldn't someone decide to write a Windows/Mac app that can Video-chat with iPhones?

They could sell that. For money. You know...what software writers like to earn?

At which part of that plan do you see a problem arising?
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:57 PM   #11
Marty Macfly
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Uhm...why wouldn't someone decide to write a Windows/Mac app that can Video-chat with iPhones?

They could sell that. For money. You know...what software writers like to earn?

At which part of that plan do you see a problem arising?
Well, how does FaceTime work? Is it dependent on the cell network? Would Apple approve a video-chat app whose sole purpose is to circumvent FaceTime?
Marty Macfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:57 PM   #12
NYY FaN
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Uhm...why wouldn't someone decide to write a Windows/Mac app that can Video-chat with iPhones?

They could sell that. For money. You know...what software writers like to earn?

At which part of that plan do you see a problem arising?
apple denying the app from being approved
__________________
27" iMac (Late-2012) 3.4Ghz i7, 24GB Ram, GTX 680MX, 1TB Fusion Drive | Macbook Pro Retina 15" | iPad Air | iPhone 6+ | Time Capsule | Apple TV
NYY FaN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:58 PM   #13
wlmowery
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Uhm...why wouldn't someone decide to write a Windows/Mac app that can Video-chat with iPhones?

They could sell that. For money. You know...what software writers like to earn?

At which part of that plan do you see a problem arising?
100% correct. Apple has applied for FaceTime to accepted as an open standard.
wlmowery is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:58 PM   #14
Zaft
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC
you didnt really think it would be.....free over 3g did you?
Zaft is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:01 PM   #15
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Macfly View Post
Well, how does FaceTime work? Is it dependent on the cell network? Would Apple approve a video-chat app whose sole purpose is to circumvent FaceTime?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY FaN View Post
apple denying the app from being approved
How would Apple "approve" OR "deny" someone from writing a Windows application? Or a Mac application or Android app, for that matter? They don't have that power.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:04 PM   #16
Marty Macfly
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
How would Apple "approve" OR "deny" someone from writing a Windows application? Or a Mac application or Android app, for that matter? They don't have that power.
That's what I'm asking. Does any of us know if FaceTime is dependent on the cell network? Anyone can write an application that uses one of the cameras, but if they're going to try to use FaceTime, Apple can approve use of the connections necessary for use.
Marty Macfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:08 PM   #17
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Macfly View Post
That's what I'm asking. Does any of us know if FaceTime is dependent on the cell network?
No, they've been clear that it's a Wifi-only service. It has nothing to do with the cell network.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:09 PM   #18
Marty Macfly
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
No, they've been clear that it's a Wifi-only service. It has nothing to do with the cell network.
So I could pick a contact from my list and start a FaceTime chat with them and their phone would vibrate (ring, etc.) in their pocket and they'd pull it out and have a chance to either accept or decline a FaceTime-only conversation with me?
Marty Macfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:10 PM   #19
bboycrew
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Macfly View Post
Do you really think that anyone besides Apple will offer this on their phone, much less a computer? Especially since Apple holds the rights to it and they won't even let their own computer users use it?
apple wasnt first nokia has this on its n900 phone that i own they were first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz9zw...os=kKLPM8DtoWE
bboycrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:11 PM   #20
Marty Macfly
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboycrew View Post
apple wasnt first nokia has this on its n900 phone that i own they were first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz9zw...os=kKLPM8DtoWE
That's Skype. Hardly FaceTime, I think. I understand what you're saying, just the logistics of it are different.
Marty Macfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:12 PM   #21
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Macfly View Post
So I could pick a contact from my list and start a FaceTime chat with them and their phone would vibrate (ring, etc.) in their pocket and they'd pull it out and have a chance to either accept or decline a FaceTime-only conversation with me?
I'm not sure how it works yet, but that sounds like a reasonable guess, yes.

I'm not sure what happens if the person you call isn't on wifi. I'm assuming they'll get some kind of message telling them...maybe it just turns into a normal voice call instead? Dunno yet.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:12 PM   #22
bboycrew
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Macfly View Post
So I could pick a contact from my list and start a FaceTime chat with them and their phone would vibrate (ring, etc.) in their pocket and they'd pull it out and have a chance to either accept or decline a FaceTime-only conversation with me?
nokia n900 you can video chat via skype via google talk or via sip so u have 3 ways to video chat on a n900 guess apple is hoping people dont know about n900 which most dont so no 1 will even know they have it much less know what a n900 is as nokia is popular world wide but in usa nokia is not popular except with a small subset of geeks
bboycrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:14 PM   #23
Marty Macfly
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
I'm not sure how it works yet, but that sounds like a reasonable guess, yes.

I'm not sure what happens if the person you call isn't on wifi. I'm assuming they'll get some kind of message telling them...maybe it just turns into a normal voice call instead? Dunno yet.
Okay, because if that's how it is, it's one of the more awesome things available. I was under the impression that you had to be on-call with them first, and then if you both met all the conditions, you'd have the option only in the call menu.

If it can be called separately, that'd pave the way for desktop iChat access... <=== not rolling eyes, wistful thinking.
Marty Macfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:15 PM   #24
bboycrew
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Macfly View Post
That's Skype. Hardly FaceTime, I think. I understand what you're saying, just the logistics of it are different.
for me anyways i kno more people with skype so i can do phone to phone or phone to computer or netbook web cam basically any device with a webcam and skype i can chat too most people i kno already have skype so it makes it easier for video chatting
bboycrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:17 PM   #25
Hawkeye411
macrumors 68000
 
Hawkeye411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada EH!!!
Ummm video chat on wifi.
Hawkeye411 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FaceTime Dominicanyor Mac Basics and Help 1 Nov 21, 2013 04:16 PM
General: FaceTime Audio only works if both parties have FaceTime Audio. moonman239 iOS 7 24 Oct 24, 2013 11:16 AM
iPhone: FaceTime calls all FaceTime ID's iOS 7 Komrad808 iOS 7 5 Sep 19, 2013 10:01 PM
FaceTime calling machine where FaceTime isn't running WilliamLondon OS X 3 Oct 20, 2012 05:38 PM
Facetime ? Che Castro iPhone 15 Jun 6, 2012 08:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC