Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:48 PM   #1
xxjonoxx
macrumors member

iPhone 4 Black.. fingerprint magnet vs white?

I was looking at all the pictures engadget took for this news story and it seems like to me the black version seems to look better on the front screen due to the sensors and screen blending in with the body.. but after looking at these pictures, it seems the black version is a really easy target for fingerprints.

Black

White

But hey, maybe they cleaned the white version before they took the pictures? Anyone got a better example than this?
xxjonoxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:50 PM   #2
tac22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjonoxx View Post
I was looking at all the pictures engadget took for this news story and it seems like to me the black version seems to look better on the front screen due to the sensors and screen blending in with the body.. but after looking at these pictures, it seems the black version is a really easy target for fingerprints.

Black

White

But hey, maybe they cleaned the white version before they took the pictures? Anyone got a better example than this?
idk, but i didn't mind the white 3g/3gs, but personally i think the white iphone 4 is butt ugly with that extra grill (ithink for the sensors)

But everyone has their own opinion.. so idk, i love the black one
tac22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:52 PM   #3
wingnut8
macrumors 65816

The white probably won't show them as much as the black. It's going to be tough to decide what to get. I really dislike the front of the white, but the back looks nice.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Craiger
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Black

White

This is my exact dilemma. White front looks goofy and black back looks nasty.... Right now I'm leaning towards white because I think a lot of the issue with the front is just that it looks different from the iPhones I've had the last 3 years.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:53 PM   #5
xxjonoxx
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac22 View Post
idk, but i didn't mind the white 3g/3gs, but personally i think the white iphone 4 is butt ugly with that extra grill (ithink for the sensors)

But everyone has their own opinion.. so idk, i love the black one
The black one is almost my favorite so far, but if the black is a magnet for dirty and smudges, I'm not looking forward to cleaning it 20 times a day, lol.
xxjonoxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:57 PM   #6
tac22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The black one is almost my favorite so far, but if the black is a magnet for dirty and smudges, I'm not looking forward to cleaning it 20 times a day, lol.
I've found if you keep your hands clean and not oily, its actually prett easy not to make any smudges...

But i'll look at them closely at the store but i hate the white front of the phone, even if that funky grill wasn't their, i hate the fact that its white and black (screen)
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:57 PM   #7
Chrysaor
macrumors 6502

White looks very distracting from the front.
Chrysaor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:58 PM   #8
PBF
macrumors 68030

Wow, the white iPhone looks so slick and sexy. I think I just made my final choice.

Sorry for hijacking your thread; does anyone know which iPhone will look nicer (as in "newer") after a year of moderate use? Ta.
PBF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:00 PM   #9
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBF View Post
Does anyone know which iPhone will look nicer (as in newer) after a year of moderate use? Ta.
Black.
troop231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:02 PM   #10
tac22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Wow, the white iPhone looks so slick and sexy. I think I just made my final choice.

Sorry for hijacking your thread; does anyone know which iPhone will look nicer (as in newer) after a year of moderate use? Ta.
well, while the black one will show more smudges (that can easily be wiped off) the white over time will show more dirtyness... like picture a dirty white car... it looks awfull.. that being said, the glass on the new phones probably won't pick up any lasting dirt or grime or yellowing, and if it does it can probably be cleaned with a good carefull bath just i wouldn't actualy put it in water
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:07 PM   #11
PBF
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac22 View Post
well, while the black one will show more smudges (that can easily be wiped off) the white over time will show more dirtyness... like picture a dirty white car... it looks awfull.. that being said, the glass on the new phones probably won't pick up any lasting dirt or grime or yellowing, and if it does it can probably be cleaned with a good carefull bath just i wouldn't actualy put it in water
Which iPhone do you think scratches will be more visible on? I'm not worried about smudges/dirt.
PBF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:13 PM   #12
tac22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Which iPhone do you think scratches will be more visible on? I'm not worried about smudges/dirt.
hmm, well the thing is from the video, i kind of got the idea that the glass they were using is pretty damn good.... almost unscratchable

But that may not be the case

i'm actually not sure... becuase the scratch would be on glass, not the black or white coating... might have to ask someone else...

the lighter color of the white may becuase its obviously brighter than the black make it harder to see the scratches if you had any...
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:20 PM   #13
Alchematron
macrumors 6502a

Slider Case by InCase

Problem solved
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:35 PM   #14
asleep
macrumors 68020

Someone forgot to wipe the mayonnaise off before they started pawing that black one.
asleep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:39 PM   #15
mcdj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchematron View Post
Slider Case by InCase

Problem solved
yeah. people said the same thing about the 3G when it came out...fingerprint magnet...oh no! a week later everyone had a case.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:41 PM   #16
elephunkman
Banned

I'm still torn between both. White looks cheap, but I said that with the 3GS last year and picked the white one. I have to see it in person.
elephunkman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:04 AM   #17
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
yeah. people said the same thing about the 3G when it came out...fingerprint magnet...oh no! a week later everyone had a case.
I dumped my case a week after getting my 3G, and I never used one for my 3GS. I won't use one for the iPhone 4 either.

I think I will be ordering the white. The initial impression is that it looks odd, but I think that is a function of familiarity. After a few views on various websites, I now think the white looks better.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:09 AM   #18
Knowimagination
macrumors 6502a

I'm kind of lean in toward white cause it stands out from the older iPhones and it could look good with apples bumper case thing
Knowimagination is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:03 AM   #19
Resist
macrumors 68030

Quote:
it seems the black version is a really easy target for fingerprints.
All shiny black devices are fingerprint magnets.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:06 AM   #20
Screwtape
macrumors regular

I find the white iPhone 4 to be incredibly ugly, so I'll take the fingerprints in exchange for the sexy beast that is the black iPhone 4.
Screwtape is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:12 AM   #21
saccento
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchematron View Post
Slider Case by InCase

Problem solved
slider case scratches the hell out of the phone. I put one on my new 3G when I first got it, and the back was all stuffed.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 05:33 AM   #22
madbad01
macrumors member

I really wish Apple left the front of the white iPhone black like the 3G and the 3GS. The white front just doesn't do it for me... and the screen looks so much better when surrounded by black.
I've always been super gung ho white for iPhones and back before that, iPods. But for the first time I'm reconsidering the white...
madbad01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 05:54 AM   #23
Resist
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbad01 View Post
I really wish Apple left the front of the white iPhone black like the 3G and the 3GS.
I agree. But what I would really like is a flat black phone. Shiny black devices show every mark on them.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 06:30 AM   #24
elephunkman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbad01 View Post
I really wish Apple left the front of the white iPhone black like the 3G and the 3GS. The white front just doesn't do it for me... and the screen looks so much better when surrounded by black.
I've always been super gung ho white for iPhones and back before that, iPods. But for the first time I'm reconsidering the white...
You're right. The white front looks...weird.
elephunkman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:18 PM   #25
Bailey2323
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down

This is the hardest decision i've ever made over a phone. Apple should have made it black in the front white in the back. the white on the front looks cheap but the white on the back looks so nice and right now im leaning towards the black but i think ill end of with white.
Bailey2323 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone