Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sherina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
And I can't get it back on. I can't seem to find any solution to this problem.

2epj2uq.jpg

16a7a6s.jpg

2dk9u76.jpg

iRetard

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
pics or it never happened

I'm sure he would lie about something like that... And he edited with pix

@OP: GLUE STICK!... Worked for me with my HP *cough*laptop*cough* (read: HP's are horrible mother board gets replaced every month)

Mirabella

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
With my (pre-unibody) MacBook Pro, some of the rubber feet fell off. I didn't really even care, but the Genius Bar noticed the missing feet and replaced them, on the spot for free, when I was there to get other stuff taken care of.

Try bringing them in to the Genius Bar for replacement.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I'm sure he would lie about something like that... And he edited with pix

@OP: GLUE STICK!... Worked for me with my HP *cough*laptop*cough* (read: HP's are horrible mother board gets replaced every month)

Hmm, my HP has been solid for 5 years. Maybe it's the user.

Superglue, as mentioned above, will do the trick.

spicoli

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2007
Same issue here. Started with one. I lost that one. Within two weeks the other three feel off. I do have them. Will take into the Genius bar to see if they have any. Wouldn't mind paying for them (reasonable price of course....and mine is just out of warranty) if I can get them easily.

Heston

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2007
This seems to be a common problem. Mine just fell off last night - the one below the Magsafe connection. Must get too hot there and the glue degrades. I didn't think this was an issue until recently when I started to feel it getting loose. I brought it up with my friend who has the same unibody and he said that his already fell off and he just superglued it back on. From the sounds of it, he hasn't had any problems since.

I've been reading about it and it looks like you can be replacement feet in sets online, possibly even from Apple themselves. This option would probably be done if you don't have Applecare or warrantee anymore. Otherwise, you should just take it in and they'll fix it for you. I talked with the AppleCare guys and they said their not sure what they tend to do with this, but they have heard of them just changing out the entire bottom panel. Seems kind of overkill for such a small piece, but whatever...let AppleCare pay for it. The caveat is that you won't have your SN laser etched on the bottom anymore. Not a huge deal. From what I've read online, the bottom panels run around $50 if you don't have AppleCare, so that might be a good compromise if you have serious damage to the bottom and/or missing the rubber feet.

Anyway, kind of annoying, but it's common in laptops. The glue just doesn't last that long. It happened in my old Macbook Pro and I'm sure it'll happen in future ones.

MrGizmo757

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
virginia
Macbook pro feet solution.

i found an easy and cheap solution at my local ace hardware store. it requires removing all the remaining laptop feet and replacing them with these
http://www.acehardware.com/product/...lt+pads&origkw=felt+pads&searchId=50212258084

clean the surface with alcohol first so it will stick. these are slightly larger than the recessed area ware the factory feet go. clean the surface well and then peel and stick these in place. you can buy packs of 50 so even if they come off you have a stock pile of many more. these being fabric once you stick em in place a single drop of super glue at the base of each pad will soak into the fabric and bond it to the laptop like cement. it isn't going anywhere. i choose not to use glue just to see how long they will hold up on their own. so far so good. they also sit the laptop up one millimeter higher than factory which keeps it tad cooler. this worked well for me. i recommend these mainly because you can by many in a pack and you can find them at almost any hardware store. and they are cheap. apple just glues some plastic turd pad in place to fix it. this works better in My opinion. :) i will be posting my repair on youtube in the next few days. just look for Me. My user name is the same as it is here. good luck!

Last edited:

Sherina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
I just ended up taping them back on with scotch tape. Since originally posting this 2 more have fallen off. Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Another thread which just amazes me how ignorant people are.

OP, you can glue them back on. I would use a semi-permanent glue that does not react negatively with metal or painted surfaces. Stuff like Gorilla Glue or JB Weld is not necessary and (JB) could actually affect the paint/aluminum. For issues like this, I have always used the:

DAP OneStik Pen
It is my electronics/small item preference as it has 2 applicators and 1 is very fine tipped (and doesn't clog). It's drying color is as clear as glue can be and unlike others, it does not change size from wet lay to dry (Gorilla Glue can expand as much as 5x which for electronic feet is not ideal).

01323.jpg

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=393

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
With my (pre-unibody) MacBook Pro, some of the rubber feet fell off. I didn't really even care, but the Genius Bar noticed the missing feet and replaced them, on the spot for free, when I was there to get other stuff taken care of.

Try bringing them in to the Genius Bar for replacement.

Did he use glue to put them back on? The one below my magsafe connector fell off and I can't manage to stick it back on.. (haven't tried glue so far).

Heston

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2007
Another thread which just amazes me how ignorant people are.

OP, you can glue them back on. I would use a semi-permanent glue that does not react negatively with metal or painted surfaces. Stuff like Gorilla Glue or JB Weld is not necessary and (JB) could actually affect the paint/aluminum. For issues like this, I have always used the:

DAP OneStik Pen
It is my electronics/small item preference as it has 2 applicators and 1 is very fine tipped (and doesn't clog). It's drying color is as clear as glue can be and unlike others, it does not change size from wet lay to dry (Gorilla Glue can expand as much as 5x which for electronic feet is not ideal).

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=393

Responses like these annoy me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.