Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Hi There,

a friend of mine is planning on putting two SSDs into his Aluminium MacBook and making them a RAID0 for maximum throughput. The second drive will be installed using an MCE OptiBay:

obreversewdrive090601.jpg

The SSDs he wants to use feature the SandForce SF-1200 chipset with a maximum throughput of over 270MB/s read and write.
Our question: Is the SATA chipset of this MacBook capable of pushing 500+ MB/s?

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Thanks for the reply! (EDIT: ...which has been deleted in the meantime...)

OK, my pal's main concern is to have an SSD with 500GB capacity. We just came up with the RAID idea to improve performance even more.

Isn't SATA II 3Gb/s per channel? This would mean a whole of 6Gb/s in our case which is roughly 750MB/s and would suit the combined throughput of the two SSDs.

I thought I had already read about RAIDs in Mac Pros shoving more than 400MB/s. And those use SATA II controllers, too.
Hm, maybe nanofrog or gugucom come by this thread. They definitely know...

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Thanks for the reply!

OK, my pal's main concern is to have an SSD with 500GB capacity. We just came up with the RAID idea to improve performance even more.

Isn't SATA II 3Gb/s per channel? This would mean a whole of 6Gb/s in our case which is roughly 750MB/s and would suit the combined throughput of the two SSDs.

I thought I had already read about RAIDs in Mac Pros shoving more than 400MB/s. And those use SATA II controllers, too.
Hm, maybe nanofrog or gugucom come by this thread. They definitely know...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is per channel, so you should be fine. I am not sure exactly how the RAID will work, but it seems like you should be able to fairly easily do what you want to.

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
I've been talking abut a MacBook (which is a notebook); no PCIe.

EDIT: This was a reply to the deleted post, too.

Russianguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
What SF1200 SSDs are you going to use? So far I have heard only that Vertex 2 is coming with SF1200 controllers.

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
That's probably what we're going to use.

EDIT: Corsair and Mushkin sell SF-1200 SSDs, too.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Forget the 3.0Gb/s SATA spec, as there's a bottleneck you're not aware of. :eek:

The ICH in the chipset is fixed to ~660MB/s. Now that's not bad news in this case, as 2x SSD's are feasible. The biggest hurdle was finding a way to fit them internally IMO, and that seems to be solved. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.