Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Sorry for starting this thread, but do any of you know the release date for HK?

I will be heading back to the US on July 20th for a month or so, I hope that HK comes out with it by then. I don't want to buy it in the US because of it being locked to ATT, while I have unlocked my father's 2G and 3G, his current 3GS is still a sitting brick waiting for the dev team to release a 3.1.3 unlock/jb.

I hope the iPhone4 comes out in HK before July 20th!

I will be switching from a Blackberry, currently using my dad's unused 3GS via wifi (since it is locked to ATT), the iPhone blows Blackberries out of the water and into space.

Thanks for any input.

ricky1989

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
i think the Spirit support 3.1.3 jailbreak on latest apple product, which includes the 3gs and iPad. And there's only a rough schedule for the release of iphone4 in hong kong. So, keep your finger crossed

jayla

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
Hong Kong
It's generally about a month after the US release that an iPhone hits the HK markets, so I'm kind of expecting late July, same time as the iPad surely.

akfd

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
I heard from a friend in Hong Kong that the release date over there will be July 26.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
It was HKD 6288 for a 32GB iPhone 3GS. Price has dropped 20% after announcement of iPhone 4.

I’m tempted to get HK unlocked version as well. Hate that cat and mouse game of unlocking.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
It was HKD 6288 for a 32GB iPhone 3GS. Price has dropped 20% after announcement of iPhone 4.

I’m tempted to get HK unlocked version as well. Hate that cat and mouse game of unlocking.

If you are going to pay full price I'd definitely try to get an HK iPhone as well, you don't have to worry about accidentally updating the firmware and lose JB or unlock!

Most HK friends now tell me the iPhone 4 will be released mid July, though that June 26th sounds great if it is true. :)

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
What would be a good place to buy from, especially ordering over the internet?
Since I have no travel plans ion that direction in a long time...

vinko

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2004
Hong Kong, SAR
Guys,

You should never purchase a HK iPhone from any reseller other than Apple authorized reseller. The best place for it would be to get it directly from Apple online store HK.

Unless you live in Hong Kong and plan to stay there for at least 2 years, you should also not purchase your HK iPhone from any mobile carriers who are selling them.

Purchasing from any unauthorized resellers will risk purchasing a self-unlocked iPhone. So stay far away from these shops, which there are many in Hong Kong.

The previous poster mentioned a rumored HK release date for the iPhone 4 of July 26th, but these are all speculations. Apple HK has not made any official announcements.

Yes, in the past HK will receive official shipments of the new iPhone at least a month after the US release, but like Steve Jobs say, the iPhone 4 sees the fastest worldwide release in Apple history.

At the moment Smartone-Vodafone is the only one who had officially announced that they will be selling the iPhone 4.

There is still no word from Apple HK as to how the iPhone 4 and the iPad WiFi & WiFi+3G will be sold in HK in July.

My guess is that both will not be limited to carrier partners like other countries.

vinko

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2004
Hong Kong, SAR
i think the Spirit support 3.1.3 jailbreak on latest apple product, which includes the 3gs and iPad. And there's only a rough schedule for the release of iphone4 in hong kong. So, keep your finger crossed

I believe @chiefroastbeef is looking for an unlock for iPhone 3GS with OS 3.1.3. Spirit is only a jailbreak.

@chiefroastbeef, it is rumored that iPhone Dev Team will have a unlock for iOS 4 at which time the unlock should work for iPhone 3GS running iOS 3.1.3.

wesley38

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
Guys,

You should never purchase a HK iPhone from any reseller other than Apple authorized reseller. The best place for it would be to get it directly from Apple online store HK.

Unless you live in Hong Kong and plan to stay there for at least 2 years, you should also not purchase your HK iPhone from any mobile carriers who are selling them.

Purchasing from any unauthorized resellers will risk purchasing a self-unlocked iPhone. So stay far away from these shops, which there are many in Hong Kong.

The previous poster mentioned a rumored HK release date for the iPhone 4 of July 26th, but these are all speculations. Apple HK has not made any official announcements.

Yes, in the past HK will receive official shipments of the new iPhone at least a month after the US release, but like Steve Jobs say, the iPhone 4 sees the fastest worldwide release in Apple history.

At the moment Smartone-Vodafone is the only one who had officially announced that they will be selling the iPhone 4.

There is still no word from Apple HK as to how the iPhone 4 and the iPad WiFi & WiFi+3G will be sold in HK in July.

My guess is that both will not be limited to carrier partners like other countries.

3hk has also made announcements for the new iPhone and last year it was on July 11th so hopefully it will come around that time too, but now all pre orders has been sold out overseas, we do not know if that will affect their supply to HK and other countries, I use the an iPhone from 3hk and it works completely fine with an Australian sim card so hopefully all of them will be in unlocked condition in HK

vinko

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2004
Hong Kong, SAR
3hk has also made announcements for the new iPhone and last year it was on July 11th so hopefully it will come around that time too, but now all pre orders has been sold out overseas, we do not know if that will affect their supply to HK and other countries, I use the an iPhone from 3hk and it works completely fine with an Australian sim card so hopefully all of them will be in unlocked condition in HK

Like I said in my post above all iPhone in Hong Kong sold through official channels: Apple Carrier Partners and Apple Authorized Resellers, are unlocked.

The iPhone 4 will definitely be the same.

The fact that the iPhone 4 was sold out during the first 24 hours of pre-ordering at the initial 5 countries: France, Germany, Japan, United Kingdom and USA, that it was launch means that Apple either have a very controlled launch or that there is a production issue.

Now that some of the estimate ship dates for these pre-ordered iPhone 4 have been pushed back to July 2 and July 14, means there is most likely a production issue.

Of course, the reason Apple has a gradual launch is due to production capabilities of its suppliers.

Last time when the iPad was launch in the US, due to production issues Apple had to delay the other 9 countries' launch by 30 days.

We can only hope that the current high demand for the iPhone 4 in these 5 initial countries will not delay the 2nd phase launch too much past July.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
The fact that the iPhone 4 was sold out during the first 24 hours of pre-ordering at the initial 5 countries: France, Germany, Japan, United Kingdom and USA, that it was launch means that Apple either have a very controlled launch or that there is a production issue.

I am aware that the ship date has been pushed back to mid-July or later for US preorders with AT&T and cannot speak for France, Germany or the UK but here in Japan I have seen no indication that preorders have "sold out".

I placed my preorder with Softbank here in Japan today for the 32GB iPhone 4 and was told they are not expecting any delays and that I can expect shipment on June 24th.

vinko

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2004
Hong Kong, SAR
I am aware that the ship date has been pushed back to mid-July or later for US preorders with AT&T and cannot speak for France, Germany or the UK but here in Japan I have seen no indication that preorders have "sold out".

I placed my preorder with Softbank here in Japan today for the 32GB iPhone 4 and was told they are not expecting any delays and that I can expect shipment on June 24th.

Thank you for sharing your experience in Japan. It appears that the 3 countries: France, UK and USA, out of the 5 countries where the iPhone 4 is available for pre-orderring on Apple online stores. The estimate shipment date had all been pushed back to July 2nd where the latter is now July 14th.

So I stand corrected, Japan (SoftBank) had not sold out of their pre-order allocations and most likely neither have the German counter part.

I assume that since the other three countries had sold out of their initial allotments, carrier partners in Germany and Japan will see reduce quantities shipped to their countries. Let's hope that is not true.

HappyFace

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Should I or should i?

Hi guys,

Im flying to HK on the 28th of June for 6 weeks,
I plan on getting the new iPhone over there, Last time I was there ( June 2008 ) I purchased a HTC Tytn II and was just wondering is it worth trading it in over there as part to get the new iphone?

Any reply would be greatly appreciate :D

Thanks in advance

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
So I stand corrected, Japan (SoftBank) had not sold out of their pre-order allocations and most likely neither have the German counter part.

Well I will post again with the actual date I receive it. While I am told there is no expected delay, neither are we given absolute promises of a shipment date like I am told those in the USA receive.

So only time will tell.

wesley38

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
I just got back to HK yesterday night, went to 3hk getting my micro sim done next week. Hope iPhone 4 will arrive mid July.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Just an update: Softbank has now suspended all preorders for the iPhone 4 here in Japan due to higher than expected orders.

This will limit stock for walk-in purchases on release day but I am assuming those who got in their preorders can expect their phones without delay.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
I just got back to HK yesterday night, went to 3hk getting my micro sim done next week. Hope iPhone 4 will arrive mid July.

Me too, I leave back to the US on July 20th... I want the iPhone 4!

So will the iPhone will available at all apple authorized stores on release day? Do people camp out/line up (waiting in line is a sport/pasttime with Hong Kongers)? I am definitely desperate enough to do that.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Ah,… no need to scramble to HK to get unlocked version now! Can get it at home in Canada!!

HappyFace

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
What do I need?

Where in HK will I be able to get a micro sim OR do i need one?because i know that my network (Meteor in Ireland) do not do them to my knowledge.

SO what should I do?:D

HappyFace

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
What to do?

Where in HK will I be able to get a micro sim OR do i need one?because i know that my network (Meteor in Ireland) do not do them to my knowledge.

SO what should I do?:D

phame

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
Hi Guys,

Some info

The iphone 4 will be available through both 3HK & Smartone Vodafone. But if you buy through them you will need to sign a contract. But you will get a discount on the phone which is rebated every month and deducted from your phone bill.

Also 3 and Smartone will buy / trade in your current phone. So if you have a 3GS which you want to trade in for a Iphone 4 you will probably get 2-3000 HKD for it. I traded in my iphone 3g when the 3gs launched and 3 paid me 3000 hkd for it.

It will also be available on the HK Apple Online store. But you will have to pay FULL price roughly 5-6000 HKD.

All OFFICIAL released HK Iphones are factory unlocked.

If you are in a hurry to get it before the official launch you can go to Sin Tak in Mong Kok. They will be getting them in next week according to my friend who works there. He estimates they will be sold at inflated prices of roughly 7000-8000 hkd. They also may not be able to be unlocked until geohot, dev team or someone releases an unlock, which people are also expecting to be in the next few weeks.

When buying an Iphone in HK at a 3rd party store and NOT an official apple retailer, An easy way to check if its an official unlocked HK Version is by the serial number on the box + phone. Also you should see chinese writing and text on the box.

once the the iphone 4 releases in HK it will be out of stock within a day...So expect to see vendors in Sin Tak who got there hands on stock to be re-selling them for inflated prices. The same as what happened with the 3gs.

HappyFace

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Hi Guys,

Some info

The iphone 4 will be available through both 3HK & Smartone Vodafone. But if you buy through them you will need to sign a contract. But you will get a discount on the phone which is rebated every month and deducted from your phone bill.

Also 3 and Smartone will buy / trade in your current phone. So if you have a 3GS which you want to trade in for a Iphone 4 you will probably get 2-3000 HKD for it. I traded in my iphone 3g when the 3gs launched and 3 paid me 3000 hkd for it.

It will also be available on the HK Apple Online store. But you will have to pay FULL price roughly 5-6000 HKD.

All OFFICIAL released HK Iphones are factory unlocked.

If you are in a hurry to get it before the official launch you can go to Sin Tak in Mong Kok. They will be getting them in next week according to my friend who works there. He estimates they will be sold at inflated prices of roughly 7000-8000 hkd. They also may not be able to be unlocked until geohot, dev team or someone releases an unlock, which people are also expecting to be in the next few weeks.

When buying an Iphone in HK at a 3rd party store and NOT an official apple retailer, An easy way to check if its an official unlocked HK Version is by the serial number on the box + phone. Also you should see chinese writing and text on the box.

once the the iphone 4 releases in HK it will be out of stock within a day...So expect to see vendors in Sin Tak who got there hands on stock to be re-selling them for inflated prices. The same as what happened with the 3gs.

So unfortuantely for me( going to HK on monday until August 10th) does that mean I wont be able to get my hands on an unlocked but authorised iPhone 4 while I am there ?

phame

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
Your best bet is watching the official HK Apple store EVERYDAY

As soon as they start taking pre-orders buy and pay for it.

Then you may be lucky and be able to have it delivered before you leave on August 10th...As long as you are in the first batch of pre-orders as i sure they gonna sell out QUICK!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.