Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Jun 8, 2010, 06:44 AM   #1
emkwan
Banned

Lightbulb Apple iPad case wearing thin?

Hi guys

I brought an apple iPad official case with my iPad, and have been noticing it's been getting thin/looking damaged from wear on the side where it bends. Any body else noticed this? Any thoughts? Replacement?
emkwan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Sebby
macrumors 6502a

Refund and get something better.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:03 AM   #3
The Samurai
macrumors 68000

Emkwan

Mines seems fine - for now. Its my fav iPad case so far. I'm drooling over the Incase Leather Book (as seen in the Apple store) but its 50 quid. Its beautiful though. You don't know how close I was in purchasing it yesterday, but somehow I walked out empty handed.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:10 AM   #4
ceefax
macrumors member

colcasac

beauty
ceefax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:11 AM   #5
ceefax
macrumors member

or those ones that look like indiana jones' ipad case...$120 dollars...worth it.
ceefax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:13 AM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceefax View Post
colcasac

beauty
Awesome. Take a folio case question and recommend a sack. Nice.

Emkwan, I've never noticed this but it generally stays in my house.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:27 AM   #7
Dlanod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Samurai View Post
Emkwan

Mines seems fine - for now. Its my fav iPad case so far. I'm drooling over the Incase Leather Book (as seen in the Apple store) but its 50 quid. Its beautiful though. You don't know how close I was in purchasing it yesterday, but somehow I walked out empty handed.
I looked at that one but went for a Piel Frama one from Cases.com - cheaper than Piel Frama direct - 86 delivered (in 3 business days from US) but very compact - much more so than the Incase one and beautifully made. Highly recomended.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:57 AM   #8
Jaro65
macrumors 68040

Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
I haven't noticed any issues with mine. Maybe it is a material defect? Could you still have it exchanged?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

Sena, FTW.
Seamaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:51 AM   #10
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Mine is holding up pretty well, and I abuse the living crap out of it. I haven't seen a case that's as good AND thin as the Apple case.
spinedoc77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:12 AM   #11
jmmo20
macrumors 6502a

The market of ipad cases is frustrating. Basically I want a case which is identical to apple's but with leather rather than the dirty-magnet neoprene-like material apple uses.

i don't want cases with elastic bands, magnets, flaps, and the like. or cases that hide the ambient light sensor or that let the ipad fall off.

just one exactly like apple's but in leather. anyone?
jmmo20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:29 AM   #12
MaskedCarrot
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanod View Post
I looked at that one but went for a Piel Frama one from Cases.com - cheaper than Piel Frama direct - 86 delivered (in 3 business days from US) but very compact - much more so than the Incase one and beautifully made. Highly recomended.
Those are really nice cases, and they almost sold me, until I saw that the billfold cases did not have any inner flap to hold the iPad in.
MaskedCarrot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:20 AM   #13
Dlanod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedCarrot View Post
Those are really nice cases, and they almost sold me, until I saw that the billfold cases did not have any inner flap to hold the iPad in.
The iPad doesn't budge so it doesn't need a flap. The leather lining seems to make the device stick in the case.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:00 PM   #14
ChocolateApple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkwan View Post
Hi guys

I brought an apple iPad official case with my iPad, and have been noticing it's been getting thin/looking damaged from wear on the side where it bends. Any body else noticed this? Any thoughts? Replacement?
I used the Apple iPad case from the day the iPad 3G was released to yesterday when my luxury case arrived.

Next to the leather case, the Apple case feels like flimsy cardboard. I honestly think it's only useful as a temporary case, like paper plates. For instance, the more you fold that cover back, notice how it doesn't close the same? It can only worsen.

I know it's cheap, but hopefully you can find more options at reasonable rates and not use Apple's as the primary case...or sell it. My .02.
ChocolateApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:50 AM   #15
3goldens
macrumors 68000

personally I have not found a case that is better than the Apple for durability, ability to withstand the day to day rigors of rugged use. Sure it gets dirty but it cleans up extraordinarily well. Micro fiber is a a very durable covering. I have has mine since launch day and it looks brand new and I have put this thing threw the motions.

The one complaint I do have is that when I go to the gym it dies not lay flat because of the flap notch on the back, no way around that, one has to fold it over which helps some.
3goldens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:52 AM   #16
sracer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post
personally I have not found a case that is better than the Apple for durability, ability to withstand the day to day rigors of rugged use. Sure it gets dirty but it cleans up extraordinarily well. Micro fiber is a a very durable covering. I have has mine since launch day and it looks brand new and I have put this thing threw the motions.

The one complaint I do have is that when I go to the gym it dies not lay flat because of the flap notch on the back, no way around that, one has to fold it over which helps some.
The Apple case does not have a microfiber covering.
sracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:59 AM   #17
wodeh
macrumors regular

I popped into the local Apple store on launch day to take a look at the official case, the staff were kind enough to retrieve one for me and the first thing I said was something along the lines of "that's horrible."

They laughed in unspoken agreement.

The plastic shipping film that came wrapped around the iPad is more attractive, of better quality and more durable than the official Apple case, which is, quite simply, the most awful case I've laid hands on next to a couple of utterly generic, unbranded, cheap silicone abominations from GearZap.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:31 AM   #18
Hammie
macrumors 65816

I've been using the Apple case since the 3G launch day in the US. Mine still looks brand new and I use it a lot everyday.

I would try to get a replacement one since yours sounds defective.

Mine also cleans off very easily with just a quick wipe of my hand or at worst a damp cloth (non-paper material).
Hammie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:25 PM   #19
Kennethhig
macrumors newbie

What case is that ? Leather ? or Plastic ?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 04:21 PM   #20
TXCraig
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodeh View Post
The plastic shipping film that came wrapped around the iPad is more attractive, of better quality and more durable than the official Apple case, which is, quite simply, the most awful case I've laid hands on next to a couple of utterly generic, unbranded, cheap silicone abominations from GearZap.
Let's not get crazy. If you think the case is ugly, that is your opinion and don't buy one. To say the case provides no protection is another. I find it has saved my device many times from getting damaged and it is very durable. It is also designed so well it really overcomes its bad looks. It's light, thin, durable, and does the job. That said, I have a $280 leather Vaja case on order, that has more style but I hope it is just as functional as the 40.00 apple case.

Last edited by TXCraig; Jun 11, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
TXCraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 04:33 PM   #21
TXCraig
macrumors 6502

As far as the OP is concerned, take the case back to the Apple Store, they will replace it if there is an issue with it although you don't really say it's damaged or ripped... you say "it's wearing thin"... and I don't understand what you mean by that.
TXCraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 05:49 PM   #22
Pared
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodeh View Post
I popped into the local Apple store on launch day to take a look at the official case, the staff were kind enough to retrieve one for me and the first thing I said was something along the lines of "that's horrible."

They laughed in unspoken agreement.

Your opinion is absolutely terrible. And yes, I realize the irony in that statement.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories