Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I know no one really knows, but an educated guess?

Not asking if the SIM will fit. I'm asking if I can use my Unlimited data plan on the ipad SIM in the iPhone 4?

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
I know no one really knows, but an educated guess?

I really wish people would read information and have some basic technical knowledge of these devices. The iPad uses the Micro-SIM, the same one that the iPhone 4 uses, so yes they are exactly the same. However, be careful because if your on a prepaid data plan on your Micro-SIM, and you use this in the iPhone 4 to make calls you will be up for a fortune.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My guess that it will work as well as an ATT prepaid phone SIM works on the iPhone 3GS... in other word it does not.

That said, it will be curious to see if an iPhone 4 microSIM works on the iPad -- not to make phone calls but to use data.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
My guess that it will work as well as an ATT prepaid phone SIM works on the iPhone 3GS... in other word it does not. That said, it will be curious to see if an iPhone 4 microSIM works on the iPad -- not to make phone calls but to use data.

I also bought some (5) Micro-SIM to SIM adapters so if needed I can use my prepaid Micro-SIM cards in any standard mobile phone :) - very handy indeed. The iPhone 4 Micro-SIM will work in the iPad but depends if its assigned as data or voice, and if using voice on a data sim - you'll burn through your credit in no time, plus the provider can tell this is being done so you may get a call from them.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
I also bought some (5) Micro-SIM to SIM adapters so if needed I can use my prepaid Micro-SIM cards in any standard mobile phone :) - very handy indeed. The iPhone 4 Micro-SIM will work in the iPad but depends if its assigned as data or voice, and if using voice on a data sim - you'll burn through your credit in no time, plus the provider can tell this is being done so you may get a call from them.

Micro Sim cards come with adapters anyway, at least in the UK they seem to be.

ukyo229

Jan 27, 2010
Don't know about the US, since you seem to only have one option.

However, the tele-companies that offer iPad sims in Australia have in their terms and conditions, that it is ONLY to be used with the iPad. They would of known about the new phone... (developers knew the rename to iOS4 more than a month ago)

so I highly doubt iPad and iPhone4 sims are interchangeable.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I want use my 3GS with Voice & Data as I do now. I also want to use iPhone 4 for Data only from my iPad SIM that's unlimited.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
How about this - using an AT&T micro-SIM from an iPhone 4 with unlimited data on an iPad 3G without an active data plan.

Physically I know it'll work (micro-SIM is a micro-SIM), but I wonder if AT&T will be able to easily detect it.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I think it's going to depend on the APN the new iPhone has factory set to connect to the internet. I can tell you this, however. I took the micro-SIM out of my iPad 3G (with an unlimited plan), and installed it into my iPhone 3GS with a micro-SIM adapter, and it "could not authenticate on the cellular network" (I forget the exact wording of the pop-up message). Therefore I couldn't use any kind of cellular data with my iPad SIM in an iPhone 3GS. I do know that the iPad uses a different APN than the iPhone, "broadband" APN (for the iPad) versus "wap.cingular" (for the iPhone), and on a stock, non-jailbroken AT&T iPhone, the settings to change the APN are disabled. So unless you can change the APN settings on the iPhone 4, I doubt it'll work.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I think it's going to depend on the APN the new iPhone has factory set to connect to the internet. I can tell you this, however. I took the micro-SIM out of my iPad 3G (with an unlimited plan), and installed it into my iPhone 3GS with a micro-SIM adapter, and it "could not authenticate on the cellular network" (I forget the exact wording of the pop-up message). Therefore I couldn't use any kind of cellular data with my iPad SIM in an iPhone 3GS. I do know that the iPad uses a different APN than the iPhone, "broadband" APN (for the iPad) versus "wap.cingular" (for the iPhone), and on a stock, non-jailbroken AT&T iPhone, the settings to change the APN are disabled. So unless you can change the APN settings on the iPhone 4, I doubt it'll work.
Good thought. You're probably right.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008

You can change APN here. http://unlockit.co.nz

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
iPhone 4 micro sim in ipad 3g

How about this - using an AT&T micro-SIM from an iPhone 4 with unlimited data on an iPad 3G without an active data plan.

Physically I know it'll work (micro-SIM is a micro-SIM), but I wonder if AT&T will be able to easily detect it.

This will be great. Everyone with an iPhone 3G or 3GS unlimited data plan will be grandfathered for an iPhone 4 upgrade if they continue paying $30/mo. So I really hope the iPhone 4 micro sim will work in an ipad 3G!

revlisoft

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Verified it works. Took the iPhone 4 SIM and placed it into the iPad 3G tray, changed APN to wap.cingular. Works like a charm. It's annoying that both SIM trays don't work with each other which would make the swap a little less annoying.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Confirmed to work: iPhone 3GS with Voice & Data as I do now (micro SIM adaptor). iPhone 4 for Data only from my iPad SIM that's unlimited.

psgabin

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
further question

traveling to france end of month
orange network has a prepaid 200meg ipad data card avail
i have the iphone4
assuming jailbreak/unlock avail by then would prepaid orange data card be used in iphone 4 for data only??

Brumski214

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
UK
Can't get iPad Sim on Telstra Australia to work in iPhone 4 on data only!

I am working over in Australia for a couple of months and got the iPhone 4 on release in the UK on the 24 of June, the only micro sim available in Oz is for the iPad, so bought one with a view of using it for data purposes onlt on the Testra 3G network .... no joy, just keeps coming up with Invalid SIm, but previously was getting a signal, be it slight .... believe it has something to do with the network settings and configuration ..... can anyone help, achieved what I'm after or know for a fact its a lost cause???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.