Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calqlatedcandor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I have several .AVIs on my mac. Some of them will play with quicktime, some of them won't, so I've downloaded VLC to play them all.

The problem is that I need to embed these videos into powerpoint (2008 for mac). The videos that work with quicktime will work in powerpoint, but the others won't. I've heard that windows users can install a VideoLan-VLC plugin to play videos in powerpoint, but I can't figure out how to do this on a mac.

Anyone know how to do this or have some other suggestions?

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
the best i could suggest is use isquint to convert them to mp4. and perhaps instead of downloading or converting any .avi files get mp4 or m4v

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Anyone know how to do this or have some other suggestions?
QuickTime is the set of MacOS X frameworks for time-based media. VLC is a media player. Office 2008, like most MacOS X applications, is QuickTime-compatible. With certain exceptions, virtually any media type for which you have a compatible codec can be handled by most QuickTime-compatible applications including Office 2008. VLC cannot add functionality to other applications.

It sounds like you don't have the free Perian codec suite installed. If this is the case, then you should download and install it.

calqlatedcandor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
QuickTime is the set of MacOS X frameworks for time-based media. VLC is a media player. Office 2008, like most MacOS X applications, is QuickTime-compatible. With certain exceptions, virtually any media type for which you have a compatible codec can be handled by most QuickTime-compatible applications including Office 2008. VLC cannot add functionality to other applications.

It sounds like you don't have the free Perian codec suite installed. If this is the case, then you should download and install it.

This was very helpful. Thanks so much!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have Perian and it is not helping. Any other suggestions?
You know that Perian works if it is installed. This means that something is missing from your setup that prevents Quicktime from handling media in your PowerPoint presentations. There is no way to diagnose what might be missing until you give some information about your setup.

Shrubbist

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
... There is no way to diagnose what might be missing until you give some information about your setup.

What information would be useful? (Sorry, I'm not sure).
I am using OSX 10.6.8 and Quicktime 10.0 (128). I am trying to use AVI's created by Paraview. They play in VLC and in some video editing software (e.g. iMove, Xilisoft video converter) but not in Quicktime or Powerpoint. Other video formats play in Quicktime/Powerpoint and if I convert to another format then they play in Quicktime/Powerpoint (even converting to a differently encoded AVI) (Video converters that I have make me change the video aspect ratio hence I do not like to do that and don't want to have to every time).
The same videos used to work fine in Quicktime/Powerpoint. I am unsure what has changed since they worked (I might have updated Quicktime or my DIVX codecs or something).

billywade09

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
play AVI in powerpoint

was there ever a solution to this issue? I am using OS 10.7.4 and cannot embed avi files into Powerpoint 2008 presentations. I can play these same files in VLC. Perian was installed and does not help.

billywade09

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
.avi files on Mac

no, I cannot play .avi files in quicktime either. I must convert them to another format to play them either in quicktime or in Powerpoint. I used to have the ability to play .avi files both in QT and in PP but somehow this feature got lost. I am thinking of downgrading to an earlier version of OS X:confused:

billywade09

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
VLC info

it says:

Type Video
Codec Microsoft video 1 (CRAM)
Resolution 1264 x 868
Frame rate 30
Decoded format 15 bits RGB

Hughshin

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2016
The same question but I didn.t get clear answer.
Would you someone tell me stay by step solution?

have several .AVIs on my mac. Some of them will play with quicktime, some of them won't, so I've downloaded VLC to play them all.

The problem is that I need to embed these videos into powerpoint (2008 for mac). The videos that work with quicktime will work in powerpoint, but the others won't. I've heard that windows users can install a VideoLan-VLC plugin to play videos in powerpoint, but I can't figure out how to do this on a mac.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Someone near the front someone recommended converting into mp4. Use handbrake to do this (free). It relies on vlc to do the ripping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.