Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I've been browsing and searching the web the past couple of days and haven't heard anything really regarding gps navigation for the new iPhone. I'm assuming it's the same maps app as before. With Navigon regional apps on sale right now, would it be wise to purchase or should we expect anything coming to the iPhone in the near future? Google maps navigation for example..

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
There have been no rumours to suggest either way. Sorry I can't help you any further.

Pennine

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
Glossop UK
I've been browsing and searching the web the past couple of days and haven't heard anything really regarding gps navigation for the new iPhone. I'm assuming it's the same maps app as before. With Navigon regional apps on sale right now, would it be wise to purchase or should we expect anything coming to the iPhone in the near future? Google maps navigation for example..

I think TomTom are updating theirs for ios4 so it can run in the background

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I think if Apple were to introduce their own turn by turn GPS then it would have been anounced as one of their main changes. I don't see anything like this in the near future. I started a thread about a week ago about the Navigon Regional maps as well. Here's a link that may provide a little info for you:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/926215/

My only problem is I'm worried they won't update the app to 4.0 so it is able to run in the background. Either that or they will require us to pay again for the upgrade. Any thoughts on this? The sale lasts 3 more days.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I've been searching and so far have found nothing that would show anything different regarding navigation on the new iPhone. Can't find anything regarding google navigation either (I feel like a Verizon customer trying to find something about the iPhone coming to their network.. lol). At this point, with the good reviews and the price drop, I'll probably just pick up the Navigon app tomorrow.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I think TomTom are updating theirs for ios4 so it can run in the background

Let's hope so... right now it crashes pretty reliably on the iOS 4 GM. Looks like some change broke how they were using some API and it crashes as a result now.

ChrisFig

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
As a current owner of a 3GS and the TomTom app, if I upgrade to the iPhone 4, I will be able to re-download the TomTom app to my new phone with no issues right?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
As a current owner of a 3GS and the TomTom app, if I upgrade to the iPhone 4, I will be able to re-download the TomTom app to my new phone with no issues right?

Make sure you restore from a backup when you get the 4... it will restore your favorites/etc you set on the 3GS.

There are some bugs as well with the Traffic app, since it won't migrate your account<->phone information unless you restore from a backup.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Some people seem to like Waze better than Skobbler....I haven't tried Waze yet, so I don't have an opinion. Tried Skobbler once and it was "OK"....worth what I paid anyway on the one route I tried it on.

cvanlind

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Navigon iPhone 4 issues

I am having problems getting my Navigon to work properly on the new iPhone. The GPS is unable to locate, etc. I installed via "restore" from 3GS data. Anyone else had this?

jutte64

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
i had the tomtom app on my 3g worked great. put it on my i4 when i got it and the update came out a day or two later, before i had a chance to use it, have used it several times on the i4 and it works great! someone calls or text you and you leave the app it still gives you all the voice commands as if your still in the app it is great!

jutte64

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
i had the tomtom app on my 3g worked great. put it on my i4 when i got it and the update came out a day or two later, before i had a chance to use it, have used it several times on the i4 and it works great! someone calls or text you and you leave the app it still gives you all the voice commands as if your still in the app it is great!

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
I tried "Waze" out last night, using my usual route home. It was cute, but I have a few of "issues" with it:

1) Route Home was mostly right - it didn't offer me the chance to use side streets & avoid making a left turn (during rush hour traffic) off a major thoroughfare, though.

2) I'm not always able to look directly at the GPS, so the voice directions are kinda nice. That said "bear left" and "bear right" do NOT tell me if I need to get on or off the freeway. If I didn't already know where I was going, I would have completely missed the entrances & exits I needed to take.

3) "In 1/2 mile...." Thanks for the warning, but if I'm stuck in the far lane from where I need to exit, 1/2 mile may not be enough time to get over, depending on traffic.

4) Not once did it mention street names. This ties into point #2.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad for a *free* app, but I'm not sure I'd rely on it exclusively.

Mav2u

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
I can't believe no one has mentioned CoPilot Live USA. You can try it out for a month for free. It has text to speech. Very detailed mapping on the iPhone 4 now.

And it is better than the TomTom and Navigon. Best part! It's only $4.99 and to add the Speech for street names is only $2.99 or you can just use the "turn ahead in 500ft" talk that it does.

I've never liked TomTom, I bought and tried the Navigon but the maps and the way it works is horrible. The CoPilot worked the best and had the best display for reading streets and names on the display.

I would say try the free trial of CoPilot, you'll like it and buy it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.