Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Over the last couple of weeks, I seem to have lost Bluetooh ability on my Alu Powerbook 1.25 -----

I have the BT icon in the menu bar and it is now permanently greyed out with a slash across it. If I click on the icon the dropdown menu just says ' Bluetooth: Not Available ' . If I try utilities such Bluetooth Setup it tells me that there is no bluetooth hardware.

So the problem seems to be that the hardware is not seen --- any thoughts or fixes that I could try, before sending in to Apple?
cheers

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
thanks Andy - will run through this....but while your online may tell you of another long standing problem I have as a UK Apple user.....

Under Jaguar I had no problem using AOL to connect to the internet over my Airport setup --- but since Panther I have not been able to get a proper connection to the net.

Under Jaguar it went like this --- I configured my Airport controls so that when I chose connect in the menu, airport would dial the AOL number. It would dial and then connect ( with time connected displayed in the menu bar ). I THEN launched the AOL Application , and logged on and could get my Emails and launch web pages ( in AOL or other brousers )

Under Panther, I can do all of the above, but once AOL is open, I can only get to my emails, but cant open web pages, eithern in AOL or Safari.

Any ides

cheers

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jbrown said:
thanks Andy - will run through this....but while your online may tell you of another long standing problem I have as a UK Apple user.....

Under Jaguar I had no problem using AOL to connect to the internet over my Airport setup --- but since Panther I have not been able to get a proper connection to the net.

Under Jaguar it went like this --- I configured my Airport controls so that when I chose connect in the menu, airport would dial the AOL number. It would dial and then connect ( with time connected displayed in the menu bar ). I THEN launched the AOL Application , and logged on and could get my Emails and launch web pages ( in AOL or other brousers )

Under Panther, I can do all of the above, but once AOL is open, I can only get to my emails, but cant open web pages, eithern in AOL or Safari.

Any ides

cheers
What kind of network setup do you have? Normally, you'd only connect to AOL over AirPort if that's hooked up to a broadband connection, like cable modem, DSL, or satellite. As far as I know, there's no easy way to connect to a regular dial-up modem over AirPort like that, if that is what you are doing.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
wrldwzrd89 said:
What kind of network setup do you have? Normally, you'd only connect to AOL over AirPort if that's hooked up to a broadband connection, like cable modem, DSL, or satellite. As far as I know, there's no easy way to connect to a regular dial-up modem over AirPort like that, if that is what you are doing.

Just for the record.......I checked out the thread and there was ahint to remove the battery, put it back in and restart and the bluetooth problem would be solved....and lo and behold it worked!!!!!Cheers Andy,nice one!

In regards to my Airport prob....it was using dial-up - using the airport extreme base station built in 56k modem

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
wrldwzrd89 said:

Just for the record.......I checked out the thread and there was ahint to remove the battery, put it back in and restart and the bluetooth problem would be solved....and lo and behold it worked!!!!!Cheers Andy,nice one!

In regards to my Airport prob....it was using dial-up - using the airport extreme base station built in 56k modem

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jbrown said:
<snip>
Oh...forgot about the modem built-in to some of the AirPort base stations. In any case, it sounds like either a connection issue or a protocol issue. Is there some way you can tell AOL to use the remote modem connected to the AirPort base station to dial? If you can do that, it should work properly. Otherwise, I'm really not sure why you can't get on the WWW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.