Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Hey there,
I'm a student at Art Center College of Design, and we have begun filming in 3D (Stereoscopic), with polarized viewing. I'm doing some research on Stereoscopic 3D in order to refine the workflow, from shooting, to editing, and then displaying of the 3D footage.

My first question is with regards to the projection/display of the 3D footage. As of right now, we're using a Windows-based program called Stereoscopic Player.
Simply put, what Stereoscopic Player does is simultaneously play two video files in two different displays or projectors.

Is there is a Mac-based alternative to simultaneously playing video files (or perhaps live video footage streamed from the two cameras) in two different displays/projectors?

I know that there are scientific applications for stereoscopic viewing of molecular structures, but I don't know how they work. I doubt that they'll work for viewing video footage. I'm also looking into Houdini Apprentice, which seems to have some sort of stereoscopic integration. But I haven't tried it yet. Anyone familiar with any of these applications wanna pitch in?

As for editing, I was wondering if anyone knew of any Final Cut Pro or AVID plugins or techniques for live previewing of stereo footage. Currently, in oder to preview our footage, we have to individually export the two video tracks, boot into Winblows, and then play them through Stereo Player. Kind of a hassle.

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone knew of a video splitter that would allow for taking the live footage from a single camera, and displaying it on multiple displays/projectors. Ideally we would need 3 output channels for each splitter (one splitter would be for the left, and the other for the right camera): one for the small, on-board stereo display, another for the larger stereo display, and the last one for the stereo projection system.

Any help or input is appreciated. Thanks!

penter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Both, actually. Some students prefer one over the other.
Turns out that there is a FCP plugin, but we haven't tried it out yet.
The biggest question right now is the stereo playback of the footage.
We're still stuck with the windows-based one... which only works half of the time, as bootcamp happily reminded us (darn drivers!).

digisplicer

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
For Media Composer users there is MetaFuze (free):

http://www.avid.com/US/solutions/workflow/metafuze

It uses Avid's DNxHD codec but I think it's also capable of outputting uncompressed so FCP users might find it useful too. It's PC only at the moment and what it does it compress the left eye/ right eye data into one HD video frame (either side by side or upper/lower) allowing you to "preview" the footage. If you have an Avid I/O box (Mojo DX or Nitris DX) you can output to a 3D TV via HDMI from Media Composer.

penter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
thnx digisplicer,
Ilike the workflow, but working in the Windows environment just isn't feasible.
I think I found a solution, though. It's called Neo3D, by Cineform

This, of course, is only the editing workflow.

Playing the footage from two projectors hooked to a Mac-based machine (as opposed to a 3D display) is still a problem...

svetulcho

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
3d player

hi,
i was searching for alternative of 3dtv stereoscopic player for mac and i found this http://www.nongnu.org/bino/news.html.

I wasn't test it yet, but is looks promising. If you test it please give feedback. I can't test it cause I don't have any 3d display yet. So I currently only researching the subject.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.