Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jun 8, 2010, 03:15 PM   #1
yalag
macrumors 6502a

How are you suppose to NAT with snow leopard server mini with only 1 ethernet port?

How are you suppose to NAT with snow leopard server mini with only 1 ethernet port?
yalag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 03:19 PM   #2
belvdr
macrumors 68040

Subinterfaces are the way to do this, although not a very secure method to do so.
belvdr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 03:23 PM   #3
yalag
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvdr View Post
Subinterfaces are the way to do this, although not a very secure method to do so.
Do you have any info on subinterfaces? Also, why is this so hard? Apple built this server themselves, did they mess up?
yalag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 03:24 PM   #4
belvdr
macrumors 68040

It's more or less aimed for folks not requiring their Mac to route.

Creating subinterfaces is nothing more than assigning more than one IP to a particular interface. Google "router on a stick" and you'll find more info.
belvdr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 03:33 PM   #5
AlanShutko
macrumors 6502

You could also pick up a USB ethernet adapter.
AlanShutko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 04:06 PM   #6
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanShutko View Post
You could also pick up a USB ethernet adapter.
Yeah Apple makes one "for MacBook Air," but works on recent Macs.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 05:22 AM   #7
Serif
macrumors regular

The USB ethernet adapter is a nice piece of kit and I've used it as the Internet facing interface on a Mac Mini server with success.

If you wish to use the built in ethernet for both the internal LAN and your Internet connection then sub interfaces are the way to go, preferably using a VLAN capable switch.
Serif is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:10 PM   #8
fredfnord
macrumors regular

USB->ethernet

I'm using one of these at home with Server and a mini. Works just fine. Only issue is that occasionally, when I do a software update that requires a reboot, sometimes I have trouble getting it to start using the USB ethernet port. It looks like it's working (lights blink once a second when I ping, etc), but for some reason it just doesn't recognize any incoming packets.

Every time this has happened, I've screwed around with the settings some (changed them, changed back), and rebooted, and it's started working again. And since I don't have to update very often, this is not a big issue.

-fred
fredfnord is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking