Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
I am selling my 3gs on ebay as we speak & have a blackberry bold someone is letting me borrow till the iPhone 4 drops....will this effect my unlimited data plan at all? I want to make sure I don't lose it

thanks and I will lock as soon as this is answered :)

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
i dont think you will be able to get internet on your BB if you have the iphone data on it.

also, i would try to avoid restarting your phone.

no way of knowing for sure though

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
Anyone else have any ideas on this subject? Otherwise I'll just go phoneless for a week and a half lol

brettbennett12

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Heres what I know from my experience switching between iPhone and the Bold:

If you swap the SIM to your blackberry, it won't change your data plan from iPhone automatically to blackberry.

Web browser will work on your blackberry under the iPhone plan. You won't be charged for data usage because you have iPhone data plan.

Push email will not work on the BlackBerry because it is a seperate Blackberry service.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Heres what I know from my experience switching between iPhone and the Bold:

If you swap the SIM to your blackberry, it won't change your data plan from iPhone automatically to blackberry.

Web browser will work on your blackberry under the iPhone plan. You won't be charged for data usage because you have iPhone data plan.

Push email will not work on the BlackBerry because it is a seperate Blackberry service.

The browser in the OS also uses BIS.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
Not sure about BB, but I was using my iPhone 3GS SIM in unlocked Nexus One for a month, and now in Motorola feature phone for the time being. I even called AT&T and asked if I have to change the data plan. The rep said no and if I keep it "iPhone Plan" it will be easier to switch back and forth between unlocked phone and the iphone (we were talking about 3GS). I didn't get any extra charge nor forced to drop the iPhone data plan. Right now at this moment, my plan page still shows iPhone Data Plan after being iPhone less over a month.

Edit: Just FYT, the rep mentioned it's partially because Nexus One is an unlocked device. There is no official guarantee the data connection works out-a-box, but also no requirements to switch from iPhone data plan I already had. All they care is I have $30 3G smart phone data plan one way or another. Of course all this conversation was well before the drop of unlimited data.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I was going to borrow a friends phone for a month as mine broke a week ago. AT&T told me I could not be grandfathered into the unlimited plan by doing this. Options where to set a pre-pay until the new iPhone came out or get another 3GS, therefor screwing up my upgrade option.

Any strides Apple makes, AT&T beats down.

I went over to Verizon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.