Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xizar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
I'm trying to make a "silent movie"-style video movie.

Along with tossing in some intertitle cards and speeding up the clips I'm stitching together, I want to apply both "black and white" and "aged film" to everything except a beginning sequence, which should be left colorful and new.

I've figured out ways to apply one of two effects to parts of the clips, and I've figured out how to use "export to quicktime" to apply an effect to an entire movie.

Is it possible to apply two video effects to an individual clip within a whole project? All the googling I've done about silent movies says I should be able to do this in *older* versions of imovie, but about imovie 9, there is only silence.

I figure a work around is to export the parts that I want aged and b&w into new files, and then importing those back into imovie for use, but I was hoping for a more direct and less destructive (so to speak) route.

Should I think about snagging final cut express if I find a few franklins laying around? (I'd prefer to work with what I have, which is just imovie.)

Thanks for your help.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
I can't see why you couldn't apply however many effects you want to each clip. I believe I have done at least 2 before... each time to apply an affect to a clip it is essentially changed and becomes a 'new' clip, so that you can do something else to it.

It's easy enough to check. It's odd that you are spending loads of time trying to think of work-arounds and researching when a 2 minute excursion into iMovie would let you know for sure if it works the way you want it or not.

xizar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Clearly I fail at figuring this out then...

Trying what you suggest (of trying it out), I open iMovie, grabbed a few seconds of myself staring at my laptop's camera and threw it into the timeline. The only what I know how to apply an effect to a video clip is opening the clip adjustments part of the inspector, and then selecting a video effect.

If I try to apply a second effect, it overwrites the first one.

So, if there is a way *within* iMovie 9 to apply more than one effect, I haven't found it.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Without being in front of my computer:

How about basically going into the inspector and adjusting the color level and such to make the clips B & W and then add the aged film effect to that? This would limit you to one effect. This might even be better than going pure B&W because you could make the color of the clips be a little yellowed or aged somewhat.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
You can't apply two effects at the same time. iMovie 09 doesn't let you.

If I was keen on getting this done, I'd create a project with just the clip(s) I want to affect, apply the first effect, export to a high quality video file, reimport that in my events, add it to the project of interest, and apply the second effect.

xizar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
You can't apply two effects at the same time. iMovie 09 doesn't let you.

If I was keen on getting this done, I'd create a project with just the clip(s) I want to affect, apply the first effect, export to a high quality video file, reimport that in my events, add it to the project of interest, and apply the second effect.

:( I was afraid of that.

mstrze,
I tried that. Aged Film applies a color filter/mask over the video that seems to overpower the saturation levels I apply such that that I can't get it B&W enough.

Thanks for your advice and input, guys.

I wish fce was cheaper or premiere elements was out for the mac. :\

or that I didn't worry that the day after I break down and buy fce 4, 5 comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.