Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
I had this problem during the beta phases along with the GM. I sync my contacts to Google via Google Sync (Exchange). Whenever I set contact photos, it seems to upload the image then download it back. This causes my contacts to have only the thumbnail caller ID instead of full screen. I didn't have this problem when I had 3.1.3.

Was there some change in the way v4 handles Exchange contacts? Does anyone else have this issue?

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I have this exact issue and it's driving me nuts.

Prior to iOS4, one can assign a full screen, HQ image to a contact, it will sync to Google and the HQ image will retain on the iPhone itself.

Now with iOS4, it uploads the image to Google and it immediately downloads the scaled down, low quality thumbnail to the iPhone's contact. If anyone knows how to fix, please let us know.

weitzner

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Solution

Hi there,

I was having this problem and I did a bit of googling for it and I found the solution. In your Gmail settings under general, select "Only show pictures that I've chosen for my contacts." Then when you assign a picture to your contacts it keeps them at a nice high-resolution and they show up full-screen.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Hi there,

I was having this problem and I did a bit of googling for it and I found the solution. In your Gmail settings under general, select "Only show pictures that I've chosen for my contacts." Then when you assign a picture to your contacts it keeps them at a nice high-resolution and they show up full-screen.

General consensus says that trick stopped working in 4.0. I am part of that consensus :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.