Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikewired

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Anyone have an issue with the home button not always working? When I think there is something wrong it works perfect for a while then I notice it again.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
What you just described never happened to mine. Probably you wanna take it to apple store if you've got one near you.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's suppose to always work. Exchange or repair it if you didn't mod the software or damage it

spiralynth

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Mine works every single time. Especially works exceptionally well when I'm engulfed in exceptionally engulfing landscape apps like X-Plane or NFSS or Netflix, often leaving me exceptionally irritated to bits.

Future state OS must provide a way to preferentially disable the Home button in order to avoid accidental hits.

mikewired

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Exchanged it today. Best Buy was great, I have had the unit for 24 days, and they exchanged it with no issues.

Inked

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
Buckinghamshire, UK
As usual, Apple store were fantastic, exchanged the faulty one this morning, unfortunately, when I got home and synced it I noticed a dead pixel, went straight back to the store without an appointment and they exchanged that one too. :D

rkmac

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
JAFA, New Zealand
My home button was intermittently not working about a week ago, then it started working again so I thought nothing of it. Now it doesn't work at all. Going to take it in tomorrow. Very annoying.

Kalikatka

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2011
Home button malfunction

One of our iPad2s is experiencing intermittent home button unresponsiveness. I found a forum that suggests twisting the iPad, or holding in landscape mode and squeezing the sides with your palms, or pressing hard on either side of the home button, not on the button, helps fix the problem. Some suggest it is related to temperature expansion and advise cooling it down. This is very common and there are many reports of people receiving brand new ones with this issue. Circumstantial evidence points to a minor hardware glitch rather than a software issue. If you can get it to misbehave while Apple is looking they will replace it, however the new one is likely to run into the same problem eventually. Hope this advise helps.

Ourshire

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2011
It worked!

I tried the twisty thingy and pushed on the sides of the home button and now it works! Strange but true! Thanks tons, kalikatka!

thesiren

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
outer space
Mine works every single time. Especially works exceptionally well when I'm engulfed in exceptionally engulfing landscape apps like X-Plane or NFSS or Netflix, often leaving me exceptionally irritated to bits.

Future state OS must provide a way to preferentially disable the Home button in order to avoid accidental hits.

would you say your home button works exceptionally well?
what about when engulfed in exceptionally engulfing landscape apps?

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
With ios5, the home button may be a moot issue. In fact, my guess is the home button will no longer be a 'button' in the next hardware iteration of iDevices.

megsandbytes

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
sometimes it seems you have to press the home button harder, other times it works just fine, not sure why that is but at least now I know it's not just me.

edwardbu

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
sometimes it seems you have to press the home button harder, other times it works just fine, not sure why that is but at least now I know it's not just me.

finally figured it out. Once all external connection are terminated, the Home button works as intended. disconnect 3G/wifi/bluetooth ...

I guess as more applications / games load onto internet data feedback, it slows down button response. Something Apple has to deal with in its OS design to give home button priority access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.