Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Is it just a new phone or will it actually take advantage of the 4G network?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
1. AT&T doesn't have a "4G" network service yet
2. When AT&T does, it will be LTE, and you will need a new hardware (just like going from 2G to 3G).

cack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
iPhone 4 on 3G

Yeah, Sprint is more advanced then in terms of network.

It should have been called iPhone 3GX or something else other than 4. Misleading a bit.

sjsharks13

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008

It should have been called iPhone 3GX or something else other than 4. Misleading a bit.

how is it misleading...? Its the fourth iphone hence iPhone FOUR. Before the announcement, a lot of people were calling it the iPhone 4G, not because of a new network(that AT&T doesnt even have) but because it would be the fourth generations. Calling it the iPhone 3GX would have been stupid.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA

It's not misleading, the iPhone 4 is the fourth iPhone to come out. If it was called the iPhone 4G, then it would be misleading.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I think Apple had to think somewhat hard of what to call their new iPhone.

1. It is completely redesigned so couldn't have a "3" at the end of the name
2. they couldn't call it "iPhone 4G" because AT&T doesn't have a 4G network yet
3. I think they made the right choice with the name, because this is the 4th generation iPhone. I think they sort of screwed up with the naming on the first one calling it 2G..then 3G, then I think the 3Gs was just "filler" so they could call this iPhone 4.

but then again...I don't know whats gonna happen for future generations....such as iPhone 4G, iPhone 4Gs iPhone 5, iPhone 5G, iPhone 5Gs, iPhone 6G, etc etc.. cuz wouldn't they all run on the 4G network? It's not like they can call it iPhone 4Gssia (4G super speed is awesome) or anything like that. I am sure apple marketing will think of something interesting and cool

edit: or you can just call it "iPhone" for now on, forget the number at the end! It's not like you call it MacBook Pro 6, or iMac 7 or anything like that...just call it iPhone

jongriff

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Lawford, UK
how is it misleading...? Its the fourth iphone hence iPhone FOUR. Before the announcement, a lot of people were calling it the iPhone 4G, not because of a new network but because it would be the fourth generations. Calling it the iPhone 3GX would have been stupid.

I think that it is little misleading, not for people that tend to read these forums of course but for the majority of the population that now buy apple products. I have had 3 friends all ask me about the (non-existent) 4G capabilities of the new iPhone already. I'm sure as time goes on it will become common knowledge of course but I preferred the "iPhone HD" name that was suggested when the engadget leaks came out. Saving the "4G" name for LTE or equivalent iteration would have been better IMHO, it would be difficult for apple to do that now for sure.

cack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Naming

iPhone 1 = iPhone 2G
iPhone 2 = iPhone 3G
iPhone 3 = iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4 = iPhone 4

How do people call the different iPhones? That's all I'm trying to say. It's always been called using the network it uses. Now they decided to go away from that.

Misleading, look at all the articles on iPhone 4g that supposedly will be released on June 24. I'm not confused, apparently a bunch of techies are calling this version incorrectly.

I have a nano, 3G iPhone, 3GiPad and MBP so Im not a hater.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Errr, no. They use Wimax, while everybody else will be going LTE. Even Sprint themselves said the future is probably LTE, not Wimax. They just wanted to be the first one that can claim having a 4G network.

Odid

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
iPhone 1 = iPhone 2G
iPhone 2 = iPhone 3G
iPhone 3 = iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4 = iPhone 4

How do people call the different iPhones? That's all I'm trying to say. It's always been called using the network it uses. Now they decided to go away from that.

Misleading, look at all the articles on iPhone 4g that supposedly will be released on June 24. I'm not confused, apparently a bunch of techies are calling this version incorrectly.

The original iPhone was not referred to 2G. 3GS was for speed, for the phone being faster, not the network (as if AT&T would have a fast network)

It's the 4th Generation iPhone so they called it iPhone 4. Not 4G, which would have been confusing.

Yeah you're not a hater... just dumb.

TrumpetGuy

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
iPhone 1 = iPhone 2G
iPhone 2 = iPhone 3G
iPhone 3 = iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4 = iPhone 4

I hate to be pedantic, but the first iPhone was just called "iPhone" so it wasn't named after the network. "iPhone 2g" was the name people came up with after the 3g came out to differentiate. So there hasn't really been any consistency with naming at all

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I think they sort of screwed up with the naming on the first one calling it 2G..then 3G, then I think the 3Gs was just "filler" so they could call this iPhone 4.

Apple never referred to the original iPhone as the "iPhone 2G"; that was a retronym created by tech junkies to differentiate it from the 3G. Apple always referred (and still refers) to the original iPhone merely as the "iPhone."

cack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
iPhone 2g

If you look at CL, all iPhone 1's are called 2G.

Yes, I know this naming came after 3G came. I know 3Gs is for speed, I'm referring to the 3G in 3GS.

Man, people here need to chill out.

Point is iPhone 4 is on 3G. Let's spread the word.

sjsharks13

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
If you look at CL, all iPhone 1's are called 2G.

Yes, I know this naming came after 3G came. I know 3Gs is for speed, I'm referring to the 3G in 3GS.

Man, people here need to chill out.

Point is iPhone 4 is on 3G. Let's spread the word.

yea lets rely on craigslist.....

the first iphone was not called iPhone 2G, it was just called the iPhone.
People will chill out when you get your facts straight.

Nobody needs to "spread the word" about it running on 3G...

cack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Fact is

People are calling the iPhone 4 the iPhone 4g. Look at some of the threads.

Lamonster

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Calling my new iphone a "iphone 4" doesn't flow off the tongue very well. I think I'll call mine "Buddy" or maybe "iBuddy". :D;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.