Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Oct 15, 2004, 07:09 PM   #1
mgiddy911
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to mgiddy911
Java in Mac Classic OS

I am getting into java programming, the onyl computer I have access to readily uses OS 9.x.
What are my opitions for writting java software on this setup. I currently use a very dated version of codewarrior but have had some trouble with it in the past.
Are there any better IDEs preferably free. I ahve heard of eclipse which is made in java but wasn't sure if there was a way to run it in OS 9 due to the lack of support for newer APIs in java on OS 9.

I have tried using the MRJ SDK but have been a little confused with how to actually run the programs once i write the soucre code, what to do after i javac the code. there used to be a java program after javac u would java the class file but i don't knwo if it is there any more with the final MRJ SDK for OS 9
mgiddy911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 09:09 PM   #2
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

I used MetroWerks CodeWarrior but it's definitely not free.

Any IDE that works with JVM 1.1.8 should work but it'll be difficult to find something that old now.
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 06:00 AM   #3
dubbz
macrumors 68020

Eclipse require Java v1.4, so I doubt it'll run on OS 9.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 03:23 PM   #4
applekid
macrumors 68020

One of the biggest factors for me to upgrade to OS X? Java.

My computer science classes for the last three years are taught using Java. Apple has come a long way for developers.
applekid is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming