Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgiddy911

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
I am getting into java programming, the onyl computer I have access to readily uses OS 9.x.
What are my opitions for writting java software on this setup. I currently use a very dated version of codewarrior but have had some trouble with it in the past.
Are there any better IDEs preferably free. I ahve heard of eclipse which is made in java but wasn't sure if there was a way to run it in OS 9 due to the lack of support for newer APIs in java on OS 9.

I have tried using the MRJ SDK but have been a little confused with how to actually run the programs once i write the soucre code, what to do after i javac the code. there used to be a java program after javac u would java the class file but i don't knwo if it is there any more with the final MRJ SDK for OS 9

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I used MetroWerks CodeWarrior but it's definitely not free.

Any IDE that works with JVM 1.1.8 should work but it'll be difficult to find something that old now.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
One of the biggest factors for me to upgrade to OS X? Java.

My computer science classes for the last three years are taught using Java. Apple has come a long way for developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.