Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
So what's considered the best RSS reader app at the moment? There have been few threads in the past but they're from last year.

At the moment I'm using Google Reader as a web app but would like something that syncs to it but works a bit smoother.

GamaFu

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I've been using Reeder for a while now. It's been great. Synchronization with Google Reader is fast. It also has some extra features like read later (Instapaper) and send to twitter. Also, it utilizes Google Mobilizer or Instapaper Mobilizer, so reading long article on iPhone is a lot easier. (you can choose which one to use by default. If you don't like either of them, just read it in original format.) There are lots of setting you can play around in the setting. Give it a try. I can't recommend it enough. :)

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
MobileRSS

They have 3 versions for iPhone (2 paid and 1 free w/ ads) and 1 paid version for iPad. It syncs with your Google Reader account and gives you almost all the features from Google Reader. You can also share articles via instapaper, facebook, twitter..ect. It's snappy, has a good UI and Icon Matches the other default app's icons. Right now it is the best IMO

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Reeder by far and away the winner.

The new Byline 3 is very good, MobileRSS isn't bad either - each time a new update of all the RSS readers comes out I try using it for a few days.... guess what..... I ALWAYS go back to Reeder, just so fast and smooth.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I've used MobileRSS, News Stand, NNW, Byline, and one or two others and Reeder is by far - by far - the best of the lot.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I really wish they had some sort of trial feature in the App store so you wouldn't have to deal with these "lite" versions etc and could try out apps for a few days.

MobileRSS free version seems good, but I guess I'll splurge for Reeder if it is indeed that great.

EDIT: Got Reeder and it's good for the most part, but switching between unread and all items is not as quick as it could be since you can't show all items without going back to the main menu and then clicking. Likewise I'd prefer having a folder feed view accessible easier than clicking the small arrow in the main screen.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
I read in an older thread that Reeder doesn't auto-update without the app being launched. I currently have MobileRSS and unless it just hasn't been updated for multi-tasking (which I thought it said it was), it doesn't show any new updates being available without opening the app first and letting it sync with my Google Reader.

If I have to switch my rss feed (say, to Safari's) to get a better experience, I will. I only have about 25 or so feeds that I follow, if that many.

colourtheatre

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
i'm taking reeder as well. beautiful and intuitive interface. unfortunately, no saving of images which kinda sucks for me.

sparkles61785

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
MobileRSS Hands down!

Pulse is decent; however the 20 feed limit makes it inferior to all other RSS apps.

colourtheatre

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
Does Reeder push when there's an updated feed? That's what I'm looking for.

nah. unfortunately not but it does sync and cache feeds/images (in settings) in the background though (once you start the app up and leave it running in the background)

Anselgrey23

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
I would recommend Byline, which downloads full articles based on your RSS subscriptions at google reader. I sync it before leaving for work,When ever i travel by train and get very spotty network coverage so it's good to have the articles already saved for viewing.

furqan8421

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Depends on your use.

If you want to just browse a few feeds, then pulse may be the best. It allows you to see a visual depiction of your feeds.

The problem is that it's limited to 20 feeds, is a bit slower than some other apps, and also it's slower to pick a single article scrolling sideways than the vertical layout most other apps use.

If you read many feeds then I use Reeder. I like it.

The issues I have are that you can't manage or add feeds from within the app, only through google reader website. You also must use a google reader account. Lastly, and this is personal preference, but I feel that the ability to subscribe to many feeds led me to subscribing to too many to keep up with.

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
I've tried loads of RSS apps but haven't found anything to match Prime 31's Feeds.

Do you have an issue with it not loading at all? I have had this app for a while now and like it a lot, but find I go back to mobilerss because when Feeds syncs it will not load my unread feeds most of the time. I have to hit the sync button numerous time. When it does load the feeds, it is a great app

elannasdad

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
Do you have an issue with it not loading at all? I have had this app for a while now and like it a lot, but find I go back to mobilerss because when Feeds syncs it will not load my unread feeds most of the time. I have to hit the sync button numerous time. When it does load the feeds, it is a great app

I've never had syncing problems (I sync with Google Reader). Have you looked at all the settings (there's quite a few to get through !)

silverhick

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Seattle, Wa
I've tried them all and nothing works as quickly or as smoothly as the Google Reader web app. Now with the iphone 4 there is enough ram where the page wont constantly reload it seems just about perfect. Why are people using the apps that slow down your reading? Is it for off-line? That is the only advantage I can see.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
I still haven't found a good RSS reeder. "Free RSS" might be the best if it was updated... And no one but Google has the sync feature, that blows. Apple should step up and do this as they already support RSS in Mail and Safari, with sync and all. Heck they could even charge $10 for it and it would sell like hotcakes, would take a week to program...

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I still haven't found a good RSS reeder. "Free RSS" might be the best if it was updated... And no one but Google has the sync feature, that blows. Apple should step up and do this as they already support RSS in Mail and Safari, with sync and all. Heck they could even charge $10 for it and it would sell like hotcakes, would take a week to program...

What exactly is it you're looking for that Reeder or MobileRSS or some of the other apps don't do for you out of interest?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.