Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Do you use passcode lock on your iPhone?
Yes, my choice 38 74.51%
No 10 19.61%
Yes, because my job makes me 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:42 AM   #1
miamialley
macrumors 68000

Does anyone actually use the Pass code Lock feature?

I mean really...

Let's say you've had an iPhone for 3 years. That's 1,095 days. Let's say you unlock your iPhone 50 times per day. That's 54,750 unlocks in 3 years. Isn't it more of a hassle to unlock the phone via a pass code security number 50,000 times than to just remotely lock/wipe the phone once via me.com if it gets stolen/lost?

And that's IF it gets stolen/lost. What % of iPhone's get stolen/lost...ever? What are the odds of ever actually NEEDING/BENEFITING from the security of the pass code lock?

So who uses it. Please tell us why you do. (if you are out there)
miamialley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Moe UK
macrumors regular

I use it and set to 1 minute time out, inputting a code to unlock is no big deal, it is a small price to pay to protect my data. Anyone who has apps that use personal details, passwords or bank details shot really use it.
Moe UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Duck117
macrumors member

I used it until I got a mobile me account. Now that I can remotely wipe it and find out where it is etc there's no need for the extra one second spent on unlocking it when i could use that extra one second to do something else
Duck117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:46 AM   #4
smithrh
macrumors 68020

Thumbs up

Locking is forced on me by the use of my companies certificates.

That means if I lose my iPhone (or even just misplace it for a few minutes) that someone won't be able to access my corporate email account.

If *YOU* don't want to unlock, that's fine - go ahead an turn it off. Just don't try to impose that on other users that have something of value stored or accessible on the device (Touch, iPhone, iPad).
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:47 AM   #5
STEVESKI07
macrumors 68000

I have mine set to 1 hour since I'm usually checking something on my phone at least once an hour anyways. I think its annoying have to do it every single time, but this way it will somewhat protect me if I end up losing the phone or it gets stolen.
STEVESKI07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:50 AM   #6
ethical
macrumors 68000

Don't have MobileMe, so I keep mine locked. It locks straight away too. You get used to it to be honest. I also keep it locked to keep nosey people out
ethical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:50 AM   #7
D3lta
macrumors 6502a

You're assuming that everyone has MobileMe.

I don't so the next best thing is the passcode, which I've always used and set to ask me immediately after turning off the screen. You get so used to it, you don't really think about.

Plus, it's not just about the phone being stolen/lost... since my iPhone is my personal phone, there are some personal things on there that some shouldn't be able to access.
1st gen iPad 32GB Wi-Fi
D3lta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:51 AM   #8
saccento
macrumors 6502a

why do I use it? even if it doesn't get stolen I don't want someone looking through my phone I have all my bank info on it..
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:51 AM   #9
Built
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVESKI07 View Post
I have mine set to 1 hour since I'm usually checking something on my phone at least once an hour anyways. I think its annoying have to do it every single time, but this way it will somewhat protect me if I end up losing the phone or it gets stolen.
I also have mine set to one hour...and set to wipe all data after 10 failed passcode attempts...which is OK for most of us as our data should be backed up on a computer someplace.

I agree with you. I usually check something on the phone anyway at least once an hour.
Built is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:51 AM   #10
vmagg88
macrumors member

I use, along with MobileMe
vmagg88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:51 AM   #11
miamialley
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Locking is forced on me by the use of my companies certificates.

That means if I lose my iPhone (or even just misplace it for a few minutes) that someone won't be able to access my corporate email account.

If *YOU* don't want to unlock, that's fine - go ahead an turn it off. Just don't try to impose that on other users that have something of value stored or accessible on the device (Touch, iPhone, iPad).
I wasn't saying remove the feature. Just saying I don't use it.

Also, I realize most people who will respond to this are probably people who use the pass code lock (the minority).
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:52 AM   #12
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Everybody at work uses it. Probably because we all like to take each other phones, hit their facebook page and see who can post the most embarrasing **** on someone else's page. Immature? Yes. Funny? Sometimes.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:53 AM   #13
miamialley
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3lta View Post
You're assuming that everyone has MobileMe.
I knew someone would say that.

I figure it's easier to have MMe than to unlock so many times...if you're THAT concerned about security. To each his own.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:55 AM   #14
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamialley View Post
I figure it's easier to have MMe than to unlock so many times...if you're THAT concerned about security. To each his own.
Not half!

I've got Mobile Me and use the pass code lock.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:57 AM   #15
mac-slap-happy
macrumors member

Exchange corporate policy. Lock is required for company email almost always in my experience.
mac-slap-happy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:58 AM   #16
eawmp1
macrumors 601

You're lazy and rationalizing it.
I set password lock to 1 minute and have MobileMe.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:01 PM   #17
miamialley
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post
You're lazy and rationalizing it.
I set password lock to 1 minute and have MobileMe.
I'm not calling you paranoid and obsessive. Stop the name calling. Just a thread.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:01 PM   #18
Halamolo
macrumors regular

I use. Have used since the beginning. Doesn´t bother me at all. Would bother me much more if my delicate personal data would got into other hands.
Halamolo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:02 PM   #19
renewed
macrumors 68040

I have it set to immediately.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:03 PM   #20
Built
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamialley View Post
I mean really...

Let's say you've had an iPhone for 3 years. That's 1,095 days. Let's say you unlock your iPhone 50 times per day. That's 54,750 unlocks in 3 years. Isn't it more of a hassle to unlock the phone via a pass code security number 50,000 times than to just remotely lock/wipe the phone once via me.com if it gets stolen/lost?

And that's IF it gets stolen/lost. What % of iPhone's get stolen/lost...ever? What are the odds of ever actually NEEDING/BENEFITING from the security of the pass code lock?

So who uses it. Please tell us why you do. (if you are out there)
I saw a Judge Alex episode where some guy left his iPhone at a register in a store, and the next customer (a REALLY dreggy chick) picked it up...called him...and held it hostage for a "ransom."

I'd rather render the phone useless to anybody who takes mine...I also don't need them calling me holding MY phone for ransom. Although I would be pissed because I would have to spend dollars to replace it, at least I have the satisfaction of knowing that the phone won't be working for ANYBODY in the near term at least.
Built is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:06 PM   #21
miamialley
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built View Post
I saw a Judge Alex episode where some guy left his iPhone at a register in a store, and the next customer (a REALLY dreggy chick) picked it up...called him...and held it hostage for a "ransom."

I'd rather render the phone useless to anybody who takes mine...I also don't need them calling me holding MY phone for ransom. Although I would be pissed because I would have to spend dollars to replace it, at least I have the satisfaction of knowing that the phone won't be working for ANYBODY in the near term at least.
LOL!

But if you use MMe you can just lock it. Problem solved. I feel like a marketing ad for MMe...but I'm just sayin.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:09 PM   #22
DIABLOW
macrumors member

I use it with all my 2G 32GB iPod ,3G 32GB iPod and 3G 16GB iPhone and 3GS 32GB iPhone and set to 1 minute time out.
DIABLOW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:16 PM   #23
WoodNUFC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethical View Post
Don't have MobileMe, so I keep mine locked. It locks straight away too. You get used to it to be honest. I also keep it locked to keep nosey people out
same here
WoodNUFC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:16 PM   #24
Sulwyn
macrumors member

How do you know it's the minority who use pass code lock anyway?

I don't have Mobile Me mainly because I have to pay for it and don't feel like doing so. The next best thing is to use pass code lock. I don't find unlocking my phone annoying. It's just something you end up getting used to. You stop thinking about it after a while. I use pass code lock to prevent random people from using my phone without my permission. My friends like to pick up my phone to play with it and the pass code lock prevents them from doing so without my permission. Also it means they have no access to things like my email and text messages. Who I talk to and what I talk to other people about is no one else's business and at least with pass code lock, my privacy won't be violated by some nosey person.

Also, since I don't have Mobile Me, I can't remotely wipe my iPhone. So if I do lose it, at least I can be assured that chances are someone won't be able to access my private data. My email has passwords and stuff stored in it that I do not want leaked.
Sulwyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:19 PM   #25
Jay42
macrumors 65816

A six character password (full keyboard, numbers and letters) is a requirement for many enterprise systems. My friend has to type in a six character password each time.

For my personal phone: I leave it unlocked...
Jay42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone