Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:27 PM   #1
yalag
macrumors 6502a

How should one manager external and internal DNS servers at the same time?

We run a mac network here in the office. We have an internal DNS server to manage the network. Everything is resolved to a local ip (for mail.mydomain.com etc). However, we also have an external DNS server for when our users are not in the office. However, isn't it a pain to have to manage two lists? Whenever you change something you have to change another? And you can't have one be a slave of another because the ip are sometimes different (for example mail.mydomain.com would point to a local ip in local dns server but an external ip in the external dns server). Any tricks?
yalag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 01:40 PM   #2
belvdr
macrumors 68040

No tricks. You're seeing both the beauty and frustration with split-DNS.
belvdr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Ghost45
macrumors newbie

Well I solve that problem with the use of locations built in to the os. One is work. And the other is road.
Ghost45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:47 PM   #4
belvdr
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost45 View Post
Well I solve that problem with the use of locations built in to the os. One is work. And the other is road.
He is talking about managing the DNS zones and records, not querying the servers. For querying, just let DHCP give you the correct addresses.
belvdr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking