Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 9, 2010, 01:20 PM   #1
beaner454
macrumors regular

Safari Extensions Vanished

So I've been going to safariextensions.tumblr.com and had downloaded half a dozen extensions over the last day or so. Then today I installed the popup status bar and went to check on it in Safari Preferences. When I got there all of my other extensions were missing!

Is this a feature that Apple has enabled while it's in this "semi-beta" mode where you have to enable extensions using the developer mode? Or did my copy of Safari just glitch out? Has anyone else experienced this?
beaner454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 01:23 PM   #2
spinnerlys

It seems when you hit the OFF/ON switch and set it to OFF, the extensions disappear, but one can re-open them via the extensions folder.
Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Safari / Extensions.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 01:25 PM   #3
beaner454
macrumors regular

You are most right!

Just like that I've got all of my extensions back. I wonder if this is a "feature" or a bug, maybe a little bit of both. For now I'll call it a quirk.

Thanks for your help.

Also I reported this to Apple, others experiencing this I'd encourage to do the same.
beaner454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:30 AM   #4
sportsfrk214
macrumors 6502

I had this problem too, but on a PC, and I can't locate the extension files. Any help?
sportsfrk214 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:36 AM   #5
spinnerlys

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfrk214 View Post
I had this problem too, but on a PC, and I can't locate the extension files. Any help?
Use the built-in search of Windows to look for a folder called Extensions or files with the suffix .safariextz.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 05:45 PM   #6
sportsfrk214
macrumors 6502

Thanks, that worked =] I actually tried that yesterday, but after a minute Windows 7 wasn't showing that as a result. I tried it just now, and after a few minutes, that folder popped up. I need to get a Mac
sportsfrk214 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

I have this problem as well. (on a mac) What what causes it.
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:39 AM   #8
spinnerlys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodauw View Post
I have this problem as well. (on a mac) What what causes it.
Is that a question?

Maybe it's this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post
It seems when you hit the OFF/ON switch and set it to OFF, the extensions disappear, but one can re-open them via the extensions folder.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:10 AM   #9
allan.nyholm
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to allan.nyholm Send a message via Skype™ to allan.nyholm
I have had several times where my Feedly extension would vanish. Just like that. It's still present in the Extensions folder and all settings are there, but it isn't in the toolbar. I just add the extension one more time.

If I can just turn the extensions on again by using the slider then that would help - it's just odd.
allan.nyholm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 12:24 PM   #10
bibliophile1974
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post
Hey spinnerlys and beaner454. Could either of you say a little more about the off/on thing? All I see are the extension files in the folder. I tried reinstalling them but that didn't work. The extensions are gone from my preference window.

Thanks!

OK. No need to reply, unless you have a better fix.
Here's what worked for me:

1) Go to this folder: your home folder/library/safari/extensions

2) Create a new folder within that folder and move all of the contents of the "extensions" folder into the new folder. Put that folder on your desktop.

3) (I'm not sure whether or not this step is necessary.) I then reset safari and restarted my computer.

4) Relaunch safari and open the folder you created and placed on your desktop. Double click one of your trusted extensions and select "install" from the popup window.

5) I might have quit safari once more, but I'm not sure. When I sent back to the extensions preference pane, my reinstalled extension was there.

6) Just repeat the last part of step 4 to get the other extensions back.

Last edited by angelwatt; Mar 5, 2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: post merge
bibliophile1974 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store