Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:39 AM   #1
imac9556
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4 Contract and Remove Data Plan

Hi,
So, everyone in my family is eligible for the iPhone 4 Upgrade. We want to upgrade my mom from the LG CU505 cell flip phone to the new iPhone 4 for her birthday. Now, she is very old-fashioned and doesn't keep up with new technology, nor likes learning how to use these new devices....

Say we took the chance: upgraded her line to the new iPhone 4, surprise her, and she doesn't like the phone.

Am I able to say, sell the phone and get her something else and remove the data plan from her line without any penalties? (but still, obviously be under the 2 year contract because we upgraded her phone)

Thanks!
imac9556 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:42 AM   #2
lorenwade
macrumors 68000

AT&T requires a data plan for iPhones, be it the $15 200mb plan or the 2gb one, it's required by AT&T.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:44 AM   #3
farmermac
macrumors 6502a

You have 14 days to return the phone
farmermac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:46 AM   #4
Karnivore
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by imac9556 View Post
Hi,
So, everyone in my family is eligible for the iPhone 4 Upgrade. We want to upgrade my mom from the LG CU505 cell flip phone to the new iPhone 4 for her birthday. Now, she is very old-fashioned and doesn't keep up with new technology, nor likes learning how to use these new devices....

Say we took the chance: upgraded her line to the new iPhone 4, surprise her, and she doesn't like the phone.

Am I able to say, sell the phone and get her something else and remove the data plan from her line without any penalties? (but still, obviously be under the 2 year contract because we upgraded her phone)

Thanks!
As luck would have it I just created a thread with a similar question. Until now you were allowed to cancel iPhone data plan at any time as long as you really switched to a different phone. I hope this policy stays the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenwade View Post
AT&T requires a data plan for iPhones, be it the $15 200mb plan or the 2gb one, it's required by AT&T.
Reading comprehension FTMFW
Karnivore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:52 AM   #5
army91c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnivore View Post
As luck would have it I just created a thread with a similar question. Until now you were allowed to cancel iPhone data plan at any time as long as you really switched to a different phone. I hope this policy stays the same. Reading comprehension FTMFW
What he said!

Of course you don't HAVE to have the data plan on the account if you're not using an iPhone. How else would people be able to use another person's upgrade?
army91c is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:02 AM   #6
imac9556
macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys!
Exactly, if we were to decide to go back to her old phone (which doesn't remove data) and sell her new iPhone 4 (No, I am not returning it and paying a restocking fee!)

I hope we can remove the data plan still...but you know, its AT&T lol
imac9556 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:57 AM   #7
Marlon177
macrumors member

Called AT&T last night, i was told as long as you dont have the iPhone, the data plan can be removed, but i forgot to ask about the ETF or penalty tho, i guess i have to call again.
Marlon177 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:00 AM   #8
BeyondtheTech
macrumors 65816

(moved into a separate topic)
BeyondtheTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:09 AM   #9
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Thanks guys!
Exactly, if we were to decide to go back to her old phone (which doesn't remove data) and sell her new iPhone 4 (No, I am not returning it and paying a restocking fee!)
Buy it from Apple then.

Apple stopped charging restock fees on iPhones when AT&T started requiring Apple to open/activate purchased iPhones before the customer left the store.

If you return the phone, you'd be eligible to buy her a different AT&T phone at "full upgrade" pricing. If you sell the iPhone, you'd have to pay "full retail pricing" on any other phone from AT&T you buy her. Even those dumb-phones can be expensive at full retail pricing.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:13 AM   #10
hcho3
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Iphone has a return policy. However, you will be charged 10% restocking fee.
hcho3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:45 AM   #11
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcho3 View Post
Iphone has a return policy. However, you will be charged 10% restocking fee.
Apple Stores do not charge a restock fee on returned iPhones.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone