Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
Okay so being 19 I grew up with the iMac's in elementary school (1995-2000 ish). You know, the ones with the goofy handle on top and came in many colors and the ones prior I believe.

Anyway, I remember in first through sixth grade playing a truly amazing brick breaker game. I believe it was part of the OS (not sure which one, as I really didn't care at 8 years old).:rolleyes:

So basically, 11 years later and having paid for my first MacBook Pro, I was wondering, what was the name of that game and is there a download of it somewhere and what OS did it come on?

Thanks!

TL;DR Original Brick Breaker. How can I get it? :cool:

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
Probably, but at that age, I probably didn't even realize there was much of a difference at all between computers.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Probably, but at that age, I probably didn't even realize there was much of a difference at all between computers.

I was mostly noting that as it may help in searching for the game. I had come across a potential one hit, but the site was blocked by my work firewall so I couldn't check it out.

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
I was mostly noting that as it may help in searching for the game. I had come across a potential one hit, but the site was blocked by my work firewall so I couldn't check it out.

Thanks, That is what I've been using now to try and find my lost childhood game. :)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I found Brick Break. Does that look close? Is this a Breakout kind of game? With the time period from when you played it I also realized that the eMac would have been running OS 7/8/maybe 9. So if you do find the game, there's no certainty it will work on OSX. The game linked above works on OS9/X.

I also came across this arcade classic game page for Mac. It has a few older games like MacBrickout, which ran on OS7.

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
I found Brick Break. Does that look close? Is this a Breakout kind of game? With the time period from when you played it I also realized that the eMac would have been running OS 7/8/maybe 9. So if you do find the game, there's no certainty it will work on OSX. The game linked above works on OS9/X.

I also came across this arcade classic game page for Mac. It has a few older games like MacBrickout, which ran on OS7.

It was a lot like Breakout. However, I don't remember it being as colorful. I believe it had colors, but they were more subtle; not solid lines. If I remember correctly, the color was made from small dots on the bricks. Not a solid color.

I appreciate all the knowledge you've shared, it certainly will help with my adventures into the deep interwebz for my search. :cool:

EDIT: If it doesn't work on OS X, it may be worth buying an old eMac so I can play it and the original Oregon Trail. Hell ya! :D

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
That was probably an eMac. The iMac came later. Not sure about the game though.

So you're saying the eMac predated the iMac? No.

The iMac debuted in 1998, the eMac not until 2002. Given the time frame given in the OP, it's probably an iMac being referred to. (Not to mention eMacs were white only, not "many colors" like stated)

As to the game, I don't remember any brick breaking games coming standard on OS 8-9 besides the easter egg ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.