Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 10, 2010, 03:44 PM   #1
hallaisen
macrumors regular

Stream high-res videos from external HD connected to Airport Extreme?

Hey,

I have the following setup:

-imac 27
-macbook pro
-mac mini used exclusively for a home theather with plex
-airport extreme
-250gb external hd
-1tb external hd (with power supply)

For different reasons I am currently on a network with an old linksys router, but am planning ahead for when Im switching to the Aiport Extreme. Will I be able to plug the 1tb external hd into the USB port of the Airport Extreme and access it from all my different macs? Will I be able to stream from the HD in plex on the mac mini? Even HD-videos? The 1tb hd is currently formatted as ms dos fat32. Will I have to format it to Mac OS X format for it to be accessed on the network? Will I be able to plug a usb hub into the airport extreme and then connect both the 1tb and the 250gb hd with that hub and access both of them on the network?

Also, will the wifi network be fast enough for me to use the 1tb hd on my imac as storage for vidoes to be watched on the mac mini with plex?

Thanks!

PS. The reason why I would like to do this is to get the external hd away from the livingroom if anyone was wondering.
hallaisen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
1. Yes, you can then access the HD from any Mac. FAT32 is fine but it doesn't support over 4GB files so for high quality movies, that may cause issues thus I would format it to HFS+.

2. Yes, you can use USB hub but get one with external power supply i.e. not bus powered

3. Airport Extreme supports wireless N which stream 1080p fine
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:53 AM   #3
hallaisen
macrumors regular

Thanks a lot!
hallaisen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:30 AM   #4
oftheheavens
macrumors 6502a

when i tried streaming through the airport extreme i got jumpy lag. It was on standard def and the base station is not far from the ATV (although in a different room).
oftheheavens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 05:43 AM   #5
orpheus1120
macrumors 65816

Have you try using the N 5Ghz network?
orpheus1120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater