Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:02 PM   #1
mtnDewFTW
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
iMac 27" Made In The USA: Week 19

So, my I picked up my second iMac replacement yesterday at the Apple store. So far so good. I'm actually pretty shocked when I saw that it was made in the USA, I wasn't aware that they still make Macs in the US.

Anyway, week 19 looks pretty good. The screen is perfect to me eye. If there's anyone out there still debating weather or not they should buy one, I say go for it.
__________________
"Everything is amazing and nobody's happy."
iPhone 5/iMac 27"/iPad 3
AT&T
mtnDewFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:59 PM   #2
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816
 
CubeHacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Can you take a picture of where it says its made in the USA? I might believe it says "Assembled in USA", but even that generally isn't done anymore. The last Macs to be assembled in the USA were around the 2002 era. The last macs to be MADE in the USA were... back in the 1980's?
CubeHacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:10 PM   #3
mtnDewFTW
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeHacker View Post
Can you take a picture of where it says its made in the USA? I might believe it says "Assembled in USA", but even that generally isn't done anymore. The last Macs to be assembled in the USA were around the 2002 era. The last macs to be MADE in the USA were... back in the 1980's?
I have to wait like 6 hours to use their site again (appleserialinfo) or I'd have to pay, but yeah I'll post the screenshot once they let me use it again.

anyway, my serial number starts with: QP0
__________________
"Everything is amazing and nobody's happy."
iPhone 5/iMac 27"/iPad 3
AT&T
mtnDewFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:17 PM   #4
jaw04005
macrumors 601
 
jaw04005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: AR
Are you sure they didnt just give you a refurbished machine?
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:22 PM   #5
mtnDewFTW
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
Are you sure they didnt just give you a refurbished machine?
I don't doubt that they did since they said its a brand new one. but even if they did, I don't really see anything wrong with it, so I'm fine with whatever.
__________________
"Everything is amazing and nobody's happy."
iPhone 5/iMac 27"/iPad 3
AT&T
mtnDewFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:25 PM   #6
jaw04005
macrumors 601
 
jaw04005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnDewFTW View Post
I don't doubt that they did since they said its a brand new one. but even if they did, I don't really see anything wrong with it, so I'm fine with whatever.
Well a lot of Apple's refurbished and CTO assembly is done in the United States. That would explain your QP serial number. But that's a far cry from being made in the United States.
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:07 PM   #7
mtnDewFTW
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
Well a lot of Apple's refurbished and CTO assembly is done in the United States. That would explain your QP serial number. But that's a far cry from being made in the United States.
Actually you may be right. I looked the thing up late at night and I might have remembered it wrong.
Sorry didn't mean to mislead anyone.
__________________
"Everything is amazing and nobody's happy."
iPhone 5/iMac 27"/iPad 3
AT&T
mtnDewFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:18 PM   #8
nickk2
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Mine was brand new from the apple store last week and was 'built' in the USA.
__________________
27" iMac, Quad-Core i5, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD (June 2, 2010)
16GB White iPhone 3GS
8GB 2G iPod Touch
Windows 7 and Snow Leopard are top notch
nickk2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:22 PM   #9
mtnDewFTW
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
Alright, so I went on from my iPod Touch because I didn't wanna wait another 6 hours to find out weather or not it was 'assembled' or 'built' in the USA.

So anyway, yeah it says built, but honestly, I really don't care that much about where or how it was made, just as long as it works fine.

Oh and yeah I blurred out my whole serial number, really don't want the world knowing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0174.PNG
Views:	85
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	229882  
__________________
"Everything is amazing and nobody's happy."
iPhone 5/iMac 27"/iPad 3
AT&T
mtnDewFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:24 PM   #10
SaSaSushi
macrumors 68030
 
SaSaSushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Takamatsu, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeHacker View Post
Can you take a picture of where it says its made in the USA? I might believe it says "Assembled in USA", but even that generally isn't done anymore. The last Macs to be assembled in the USA were around the 2002 era. The last macs to be MADE in the USA were... back in the 1980's?
iMacs whose serial numbers start with the QP factory code are indeed assembled in the USA, just as those starting with W8 (like mine) are assembled in Shanghai, China.

As far as the actual components in the machine they are assembled in various locations. Foxconn makes the logic boards in China. LG, based in Seoul, South Korea, makes the LCD panels in factories in Korea and China, etc.

Refurbished Macs start with "RM" so his machine definitely isn't a refurb.

F, FC, XA, XB, QP, G8 (USA)
RN (Mexico)
CK (Ireland)
SG, E (Singapore)
MB (Malaysia)
PT, CY (Korea)
EE, QT, UV (Taiwan)
1C, 4H, W8, YM, VM, WQ, 7J (China)
RM (Refurbished/Remanufactured)
__________________
27" Late 2013 iMac i7 GTX780M 32GB/1TB Fusion
32GB iPhone 5s | 32GB iPad 3 LTE
16GB iPad 2 3G | Canon EOS 450D
SaSaSushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:50 PM   #11
cryer
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSaSushi View Post
iMacs whose serial numbers start with the QP factory code are indeed assembled in the USA, just as those starting with W8 (like mine) are assembled in Shanghai, China.

As far as the actual components in the machine they are assembled in various locations. Foxconn makes the logic boards in China. LG, based in Seoul, South Korea, makes the LCD panels in factories in Korea and China, etc.

Refurbished Macs start with "RM" so his machine definitely isn't a refurb.

F, FC, XA, XB, QP, G8 (USA)
RN (Mexico)
CK (Ireland)
SG, E (Singapore)
MB (Malaysia)
PT, CY (Korea)
EE, QT, UV (Taiwan)
1C, 4H, W8, YM, VM, WQ, 7J (China)
RM (Refurbished/Remanufactured)
All 3 refurbs I got have had YD as the first two characters, not RM
cryer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:47 PM   #12
WindowsTraitor
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
my replacement starts with QP too week 22...(Just came out of the oven)

I will write soon a post praising apple for the great customer service they provide.

My QP model does not have any of the issues I had with the previous one I had. Screen is whiteeeeeeeee. DVD drive is quite and seems to have gloves on. SOmetimes I am afraid I do not have a hard drive, since I do no hear one.

THe only "issue" is that the fans tend to have higher revs. ( I7).

What a wonderful machine. I plan to own this till it dies....
__________________
Updated 13" Macbook, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB 5400rpm HDD; 30GB IPod video ; IMAC 27 I7; IPHONE 4; 1TB WD Firewire 800 HDD; Nikon D90
WindowsTraitor is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Made in USA" calaverasgrande Mac Pro 74 Jan 7, 2014 07:40 PM
Any updates on the "made in USA" mac? svenn Buying Tips and Advice 6 Feb 28, 2013 06:51 PM
iPad: Just got a brand "new" iPad 4 made week 37 (September) SJism23 iPad 33 Dec 30, 2012 10:00 PM
So, Has Anyone Gotten a "Made In USA" iMac? bnghle234 iMac 7 Dec 18, 2012 03:55 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC