Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coloradopowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I apologize for the constant barrage of iPhone 4 upgrade questions, but here is mine, laid out for my needs...

- My dad has himself and 4 other member of our family on a family*Family Plan.
- I am the only person in the family with an iPhone
-Everyone is available for an AT&T upgrade, except for me (February 2011)

Here is my question:

I would like to get the new iPhone 4 when it comes out. My friend wants to buy my iPhone 3Gs. She is on Verizon...
From what I read, I can do family plan upgrade transfers, etc.

Could I use her phone to upgrade to an iPhone 4, sell my old phone, have her new iPhone transferred over to my 3G sim card (I would keep my old number, and she would keep hers), and she would simply put a sim card back into her old phone, with her old number.
Essentially, both myself and my mother would like to keep our existing numbers, but I would be using her upgrade for myself. However, I would be willing to change my number if that is the only way it works out.

What is the exact process involved with this 'maneuver'?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I apologize for the constant barrage of iPhone 4 upgrade questions, but here is mine, laid out for my needs...

Here is my question:

I would like to get the new iPhone 4 when it comes out. My friend wants to buy my iPhone 3Gs. She is on Verizon...

Could I use her phone to upgrade to an iPhone 4, sell my old phone, have her new iPhone transferred over to my 3G sim card (I would keep my old number, and she would keep hers), and she would simply put a sim card back into her old phone, with her old number.
Essentially, both myself and my mother would like to keep our existing numbers, but I would be using her upgrade for myself. However, I would be willing to change my number if that is the only way it works out.

Who is "her" phone number you plan to upgrade? Your friend on Verizon? Not sure how she could work into this at all.

You need to A) read our upgrade guide and B) edit your post so that it makes sense. Use fewere pronouns, be more specific.

Edit: Looks like you want to do an upgrade swap w/ your mom. Just read the upgrade guide.

coloradopowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I plan on upgrading my moms number xxx-xxx-4628
My number is xxx-xxx-6385

She doesn't want an iPhone, just to keep her current phone, but wants to help by giving away her upgrade to me

Will her SIM be deactivated and moved to a two-year iPhone plan if she wants to upgrade to iPhone 4?
I am finishing up my first year on the two-year plan on the iPhone 3Gs. What will happen if I get the 4G moved to my line?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I plan on upgrading my moms number xxx-xxx-4628
My number is xxx-xxx-6385

She doesn't want an iPhone, just to keep her current phone, but wants to help by giving away her upgrade to me

Will her SIM be deactivated and moved to a two-year iPhone plan if she wants to upgrade to iPhone 4?
I am finishing up my first year on the two-year plan on the iPhone 3Gs. What will happen if I get the 4G moved to my line?

No. Once again read the guide re: upgrade swaps. This is no big deal and happens all the time (and has been asked about on this forum about 40x today)

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston

Here is my question:

Step 1) Read the upgrade guide
Step 2) Post any questions you have in the iPhone Purchasing FAQ thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.