Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Oct 16, 2004, 09:29 PM   #1
jwoltman
macrumors newbie

Installing XCode/dev tools

I installed OS X with only the essential apps, and now would like to try out XCode. I can't find gcc/g++ in Terminal ('which gcc' gives no results). And it was not obvious from inserting OS X disk 1 and 2 where it may be installed from. Any help would be appreciated.
jwoltman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 09:57 PM   #2
broken_keyboard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoltman
I installed OS X with only the essential apps, and now would like to try out XCode. I can't find gcc/g++ in Terminal ('which gcc' gives no results). And it was not obvious from inserting OS X disk 1 and 2 where it may be installed from. Any help would be appreciated.
I don't think XCode is on the OS X disks. There is a copy on the restore DVD that came with my G5. Just insert the disk and run the "install applications and classic support." That copy is probably out of date though. If you sign up for a free ADC account you can download a disk image with the latest XCode. http://connect.apple.com
broken_keyboard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 09:57 PM   #3
dubbz
macrumors 68020

If you have a fast internet connection you can download Xcode 1.5 from Apple's developer site.

You must register there for a membership, but it's free.

I don't know how you would install Xcode from the install disks. Never tried :P (Plus, you'll probably want to download the newest version anyway).
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:19 PM   #4
angelneo
macrumors 68000

I got my Xcode 1.0 bundled together with panther which I bought but it came in a separate disk. You might try re-installing from the disk. But I think it would be better to download from Apple's developer site as specified by the previous poster
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:41 PM   #5
jwoltman
macrumors newbie

I got XCode installed from the DVD, thank you broken_keyboard. I poked around a bit and am now downloading the update from Apple. Wirelessly. While watching star wars. So far I'm loving my new PowerBook
jwoltman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming