Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 11, 2010, 02:50 AM   #1
kristoffer4
macrumors 6502a
 
kristoffer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denmark
Portal on the ipad, is it possible?

Ok. How powerfull is the ipad really? Would it be able to run Portal?

Do you think Valve will port Portal to ipad?

Maybe on the next ipad with better 3D hardware ?

The reason I ask is because we haven't seen that many games for the ipad yet but I see it as having a big opportunity for games. What's your take?
kristoffer4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 03:02 AM   #2
Macjames
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

It would be cool but...I would want a new portal game and not, I repeat, not Portal 1.
Macjames is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 03:46 AM   #3
ri0ku
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Valve wont make portal for any handheld. The iPad will not and cannot run portal (unless maybe you stream it) even in either case the controls would be terrible.

Portal gets bad fps Even on my macbook pro in osx when portals are opened... the iPad cant do it. Maybe if they made a special handheld watered down version but again Valve wont do it.

I have spoken with valve staff in person on a number of occasions. And have discussed ALLOT of stuff with them
ri0ku is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 04:14 AM   #4
macuserx86
macrumors 6502a
 
macuserx86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Yes it is possible, through the magic of Onlive!

__________________
Octo 2.8GHz Mac Pro 10GB RAM HD5870 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 "Xeon Romper" | 13" MBP 2.3GHz i5 8GB RAM 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 | iPad 3 16GB Wi-Fi | iPhone 5 32GB
macuserx86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:32 PM   #5
ctdonath
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0ku View Post
Portal gets bad fps Even on my macbook pro in osx when portals are opened... the iPad cant do it.
In light of Epic Citadel, care to revisit that question?
ctdonath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:34 PM   #6
MDMac
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
I can't imagine a game like epic citadel being playable once NPCs are added. I could see a game in the style of Myst though, where its usually just the player and the environment around you.
__________________
"I cried when I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. And then I laughed... really hard." - Jerri Blank
MDMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 08:43 AM   #7
lellis2k
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sheffield, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMac View Post
I can't imagine a game like epic citadel being playable once NPCs are added. I could see a game in the style of Myst though, where its usually just the player and the environment around you.
In light of Infinity Blade, care to revisit that question?
lellis2k is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 03:48 PM   #8
macdude3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Portal for iPad on App Store

It is possible actually, check out Wormholes on the App Store.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wormh...436080350?mt=8
macdude3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 06:42 PM   #9
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020
 
APlotdevice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lellis2k View Post
In light of Infinity Blade, care to revisit that question?
Infinity Blade is on-rails for a reason. That primarily being memory (both storage and RAM).


*Portal needs about 3GB of hard drive space and 1GB of RAM. Portal 2 needs about 7.6GB of space.
__________________
Pebble SmartWatch - iPhone 5c - 11" Macbook Air '13 - TV - HTPC - Numerous Consoles
There is something deeply wrong with a society more offended by breasts than by entrails.

Last edited by APlotdevice; Oct 2, 2011 at 06:52 PM.
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Pressure
macrumors 68040
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denmark
Holy batman resurrection

The iPad 2 is more than capable of a Portal-like game.

Check out Bladeslinger for example.
__________________
Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Pressure is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 07:09 PM   #11
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020
 
APlotdevice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude3 View Post
It is possible actually, check out Wormholes on the App Store.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wormh...436080350?mt=8
Valve actually allowed this? Wow, if only other game companies had this kind of attitude.

Eh still, The portal transitions feel very stiff (you seem to be teleporting rather than walking through) and the environments are low res.
__________________
Pebble SmartWatch - iPhone 5c - 11" Macbook Air '13 - TV - HTPC - Numerous Consoles
There is something deeply wrong with a society more offended by breasts than by entrails.
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 09:04 PM   #12
Menel
macrumors 601
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
Valve actually allowed this? Wow, if only other game companies had this kind of attitude.

Eh still, The portal transitions feel very stiff (you seem to be teleporting rather than walking through) and the environments are low res.
Its not a AAA dev with artists and skilled devs for optimizations. Give it to Infinity Blade team or Rage team and 'could' be awesome.

But its not happening. Valve has shown no interest in mobile market.
__________________
iPhone 5 iPad Air Mac mini i5
Menel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 09:12 PM   #13
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020
 
APlotdevice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Its not a AAA dev with artists and skilled devs for optimizations. Give it to Infinity Blade team or Rage team and 'could' be awesome.

But its not happening. Valve has shown no interest in mobile market.
Again, those games are on rail for a reason. A full, free roaming game with those kind of graphics would take up too much memory.
__________________
Pebble SmartWatch - iPhone 5c - 11" Macbook Air '13 - TV - HTPC - Numerous Consoles
There is something deeply wrong with a society more offended by breasts than by entrails.
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Menel
macrumors 601
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
Again, those games are on rail for a reason. A full, free roaming game with those kind of graphics would take up too much memory.
Negative, the rail is gameplay design choice, purely, not a graphical limitation.

Infinity Blade did not warrant freeroam, it was focused on one on one combat. There was no reason to explore, and would have just been awkward.

If you want to free roam explore the Infinity Blade world, go download Epic Citadel, it lets you and is free.

Rage is a control issue. Yea some have pulled off moving and shooting, but its still awkward and ID didnt like their methods. One finger for aiming, one for firing/dodging, they handle your movment.

Both simple arcadey games.
__________________
iPhone 5 iPad Air Mac mini i5
Menel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 09:38 PM   #15
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020
 
APlotdevice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Negative, the rail is gameplay design choice, purely, not a graphical limitation.

Infinity Blade did not warrant freeroam, it was focused on one on one combat. There was no reason to explore, and would have just been awkward.

If you want to free roam explore the Infinity Blade world, go download Epic Citadel, it lets you and is free.

Rage is a control issue. Yea some have pulled off moving and shooting, but its still awkward and ID didnt like their methods. One finger for aiming, one for firing/dodging, they handle your movment.

Both simple arcadey games.
Epic Citadel is not a full game. It is one level without a single NPC. If made into a full game it would be several times larger than anything currently on the app store.
__________________
Pebble SmartWatch - iPhone 5c - 11" Macbook Air '13 - TV - HTPC - Numerous Consoles
There is something deeply wrong with a society more offended by breasts than by entrails.
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:13 AM   #16
iPadCary
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Exclamation Of COURSE It's Possible!

Not only is it possible, but it's looong overdue.
Here, read this > "The Likelihood Of 'Portal' On iPad 2 ....

And remember, that's iPad 2 they're talking about.
iPad 4?
I bet you can run "Portal" and edit FX on HD video at the same time ....

To say a quadcore PowerVR SGX554MP4 chip -- the iPad 4's GPU -- "can't" run
the more than half decade old Source engine meant for a Pentium 4 is beyond ridiculous ....
In fact, it's outright insane.

Gabe Newell's such an iPad guy, he should get on the stick!
iPadCary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:09 AM   #17
bobbysmith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadCary View Post
To say a quadcore PowerVR SGX554MP4 chip -- the iPad 4's GPU -- "can't" run
the more than half decade old Source engine meant for a Pentium 4 is beyond ridiculous ....
In fact, it's outright insane.

Gabe Newell's such an iPad guy, he should get on the stick!
The iPad 4 came out in 2010 when this thread was created?
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:20 PM   #18
iPadCary
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
The iPad 4 came out in 2010 when this thread was created?
What?!?
iPadCary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:37 PM   #19
bobbysmith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadCary View Post
What?!?
This thread is three years old. It was started two months after the release of the iPad 1 in 2010.
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:40 PM   #20
iPadCary
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
This thread is three years old. It was started two months after the release of the iPad 1 in 2010.
Yeah, and ....?

Does that invalidate one word of what I said?!?
iPadCary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:32 PM   #21
shortcrust
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadCary View Post
Yeah, and ....?

Does that invalidate one word of what I said?!?
Does make one wonder who you were talking to though....
shortcrust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:47 PM   #22
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadCary View Post
Yeah, and ....?

Does that invalidate one word of what I said?!?
Don't be so angry. If you're not angry, it's coming across as angry from the use of italics, extraneous punctuation marks, and the thumbs down icon on each of your posts.

The point is you resurrected a thread that no one was discussing that was two years old from the last post, which itself had resurrected the thread from more than a year before that. Your post leads to a forum with people discussing how Portal/Portal 2 would work on an iPad, with the only logic to the hardware possibility being "Well, the game is 4 years old".

Your logic of the game being based on an engine that's half a decade old doesn't mean much. There's a lot more that goes into putting a game on the iPad than the question of if the hardware can push the game. How will the controls work? Portal and Portal 2 have a lot of places where timing is vitally important, and would be exceedingly difficult to do with a touch screen without almost complete redoing of the controls.

Resurrecting these old threads with a post linking to another forum where a discussion (that is itself over a year old and completely dead) has happened that presents no real evidence of why Portal is coming to the iPad just makes clutter for people to work through. If you want to present an argument for why you think Portal should be put on the iPad, create a thread for it.
__________________
13" 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD; 2.2 GHz C2D MB, 6 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD; 32 GB iPod Touch 3G
-FWIW, my handle is iThink_ergo_iMac. There seems to be some confusion on this issue.-
iThinkergoiMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:36 AM   #23
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macjames View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

It would be cool but...I would want a new portal game and not, I repeat, not Portal 1.
And you are the end all and be all

I think in another generation or two iPads will be powerful enough to run things like Steam to a degree and yes at that point we might see games ported over. Hopefully they will be ground up and not just emulators for the best performance. And I think the original Portal games are a likely and great choice for starting steps as they are the most known and the game play is the most compatible with a touch control system.

I would also like to see some classic Nintendo but suspect that's mainly ego in the way so who knows if it will ever happen

Last edited by charlituna; Feb 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:49 AM   #24
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post

Resurrecting these old threads with a post linking to another forum where a discussion (that is itself over a year old and completely dead) has happened that presents no real evidence of why Portal is coming to the iPad just makes clutter for people to work through. If you want to present an argument for why you think Portal should be put on the iPad, create a thread for it.
I disagree. Resurrecting an old thread when you are commenting to follow up on the topic of the thread, which is still a valid topic of conversation is way better, IMHO, than starting multiple threads that might rehash some of the same points.

And clearly the forum controllers have no real issue with thread resurrection since they have the power to close threads and haven't bothered to lock all the old ones.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:25 AM   #25
bobbysmith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadCary View Post
Yeah, and ....?

Does that invalidate one word of what I said?!?
Yes, because no one has claimed that the iPad 4 couldn't run Portal.

You're attacking a claim no one but you have made.
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: iPad Air on employee discount portal? enthusiastic iPad 3 Nov 2, 2013 11:46 PM
Resolved: Portal Gun or Pokemon X/Y ppcg4mac Community Discussion 5 Jan 19, 2013 03:04 PM
iOS Developer Portal Down ? fSHAD App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng 1 Nov 1, 2012 10:18 AM
rMBP available at employee portal? Jacobwilson99 Buying Tips and Advice 11 Aug 17, 2012 08:19 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC