Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retrosonic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Hi guys...this is a wierd one.

I have just rebuilt a G4 MDD. Works great, except for one thing.

I cannot get the Cd drive to open!!

Pressing the eject button on the kyb doesnt do it. The eject button on the actual drive is covered by the plastic tab of the mirror metal.

The new Itunes doesnt have an eject button that I can see, either.

I dont see any "eject disk" button in any of the utilities.

Someone told me that the jumper for "cable select" has to be ON for any of the kyb commands to work>?>>

Guys , have any ideas?

thanks so much
Retro.

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
You can issue an eject command in terminal or the easiest way is to reboot and then hold down your mouse button. This sends a command to eject the cdrom.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
When you press eject btn on kyb is there translucent eject sign on screen?
Is your optical drive tries to eject (do you hear any noise from it after pressing eject)?
If there's only one optical, CS or Master will be OK.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Have you by chance recently replaced the optical drive? If so you need to take the drawer face off. In an MDD an optical drive won't open with it on. At least with the Pioneer drives I always use. Most just clip on and are easy to take off.

Retrosonic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Face Off

Wow....that is interesting, thank you.

The Superdrive that I installed is about a year old, it was installed in my Blue G4 machine, but with the face plate ON. I will take off the faceplace and try it. However, the original optical drive that came with the box had the faceplate ON when I removed it. So I'm a little confused about that.

And yes, when I press the "eject" key on the kyb (looks like this: ^ ) i do get the translucent image on the monitor. So, I'm pretty sure thats ok.

If it turns out to be the faceplate thing, that would be really funny.

Thanks guys, for your help.
:)
Retro

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Wow....that is interesting, thank you.

The Superdrive that I installed is about a year old, it was installed in my Blue G4 machine, but with the face plate ON. I will take off the faceplace and try it. However, the original optical drive that came with the box had the faceplate ON when I removed it. So I'm a little confused about that.

And yes, when I press the "eject" key on the kyb (looks like this: ^ ) i do get the translucent image on the monitor. So, I'm pretty sure thats ok.

If it turns out to be the faceplate thing, that would be really funny.

Thanks guys, for your help.
:)
Retro

Not the whole faceplate.. that would be bad. just the front tip of the drawer. I popped mine off when needed with a putty knife I had from when I used to own a mac mini.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
You can try enabling the eject menu bar icon by opening System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and double-clicking the file "Eject.menu"

Retrosonic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Got it!

Guys, that was it, the little face plate on the drawer. It was too big for the opening. I removed it (difficult) and now its working like a champ. I also added an "eject menu" on the top of the screen. So I'm good to go.

Thanks so much. Much appreciated!!!

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Guys, that was it, the little face plate on the drawer. It was too big for the opening. I removed it (difficult) and now its working like a champ. I also added an "eject menu" on the top of the screen. So I'm good to go.

Thanks so much. Much appreciated!!!

I mostly knew that because the exact same thing happened to me once. :)

Glad all is well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.