Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pigmyracer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
I've just started converting my dvd collection to mp4 using Handbrake. I've tried encoding using Average Bitrate (~2500 kbps) and Constant Quality (63-68%) and I've tried a variety of filters (Detelecine, Deinterlace, Denoise). Most of the movies look decent but when I compare the mp4 in iTunes to the TS-Video folder in VLC, I was unimpressed. The uncompressed video is still noticeably sharper with much better color differentiation. I don't really care about file size so please let me know what I can do to fix these mediocre encodes.

seb-opp

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
London/Norwich
I wouldn't bother with any filters - they are more for old film. If you're encoding anything relatively modern you shouldn't need to be 'fixing' the video quality.

I don't know what you're aiming to play these videos back on, but as you say you've tried 2500kbps I'll assume you want high quality. Start with the appleTV preset and don't use any filters.

Use 2-pass with turbo first pass - because you are using average bit rate, two passes means handbrake can see which sections of the film need the most data. For example action scenes could do with more detail than slow scenes to make them appear better

If you're encoding old films - i.e. anything that was released before the advent of DVD or an early DVD, 2500kbps can be overkill, because these earlier films didn't use as high a bit rate as more recent ones.

All of what I've said can be found in the Handbrake online manual

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.