Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justin042

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2009
Missouri
I've had a lot of trouble with Safari. First off, when I try to go to a website, Safari will continuously load the website for about a minute, until the "Page cannot be displayed" or "Safari can't find the server" page comes up. Then, if I try to go to the website again, it works. Just like that. This happens up to twenty times daily. Also, if I try to view pictures on Google Images, it will not load all of them.

I don't understand what the problem is. This has been happening for months now. Ever since I've upgraded to Safari 5, it's ten times worse. I can't explain why Safari does this. I have a 2.53 Ghz, 4GB RAM, and 250GB MacBook Pro (2009). I haven't even had the laptop for a year. I have Internet security on my Mac (Intego), but don't know if that could contribute to the problem.

Have any of you had this same problem?

bdviets

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
Boise, Idaho
Happens to me too

For the past 2 weeks, this has been happening to me, too. Using time machine, I went back to safari 4 and it still had trouble going to a site on the first try. So I reloaded safari 5 and it still does the same thing. I also tried to reset safari, clearing out all cache, passwords, etc to no avail. Even rebooting in safe mode, didn't help. When someone finds the solution, please let us know.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Follow these steps. I still have this but I've managed to reduce it a great deal.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2453384&start=0&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2457909&tstart=60

Originally Posted by justmyopinion
This will solve the problems of Safari running slow and hanging. I did this about an hour ago and Safari is moving right along at a good clip like it used to before I upgraded to 5.

Originally Posted by Hands Sandon
Some of you are having the same problems I had. I could load no more than 2 pages without having to restart my router. Things loaded very slowly and then just stopped. I tried uninstalling programs and nothing changed.

What worked and worked completely is going to system preferences>Network>Advanced>DNS>+ and adding in these two numbers under DNS Servers:

Make sure you click apply afterwards

You may have to restart your computer or router, but maybe not. These numbers should work for everybody

bdviets

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
Boise, Idaho
Safari now loads links!

Some of you are having the same problems I had. I could load no more than 2 pages without having to restart my router. Things loaded very slowly and then just stopped. I tried uninstalling programs and nothing changed.

What worked and worked completely is going to system preferences>Network>Advanced>DNS>+ and adding in these two numbers under DNS Servers:

:)
I just tried it and it does work! I have no idea why adding these DNS's work, but it does. Now Safari finds the link on the first try and sites load up normally, just like it used to. Thanks for this tip!

bdviets

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
Boise, Idaho
Actually, the original DNS number was grayed out so I had to keep it. It is the common DNS that goes to all routers (192.168.0.1). Your 2 DNS numbers must have kicked started the router, because it fixed my wife's Mac also. And I did not add those numbers to her computer.

wcbrownhound

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Worked for me

I want to say one thing. You ask on here and you get answers. S5 has not worked good since I downloaded a update about a month ago. It has been doing the same things described here. I put these two numbers in like you all said and it is working GREAT. If possible in a few words tell me what this done to Safari. I even threw Safari away and downloaded another on and that did not help. I downloaded Firefox and it works well telling me something was wrong with Safari. I was almost to the point of taking the Mac in to have them look at it. You all know your stuff. I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. :D:D:D

NQK

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2009
Alabama, U.S.
I have been having this same problem since 6-21-10 when I downloaded the newest itunes and ios4. Came here for a answer and found it!! It work perfectly!!

Greka

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
That is really strange. I understand that the fix 'resolves' the problem, but that does not sound like a really acceptable workaround. Why would I want to use some strange DNSs to work online?
Well, I prefer other browsers and was interested in this topic just to find some new info about Safari, but, I guess, it is still better to stick to another browser.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That is really strange. I understand that the fix 'resolves' the problem, but that does not sound like a really acceptable workaround. Why would I want to use some strange DNSs to work online?
Well, I prefer other browsers and was interested in this topic just to find some new info about Safari, but, I guess, it is still better to stick to another browser.

That's run by opendns, pretty well known.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I understand not wanting to use open dns as the prob is S5. Open dns does not resolve this issue for everyone.

mdavies

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Try quitting Safari (if it's open), copying your Internet Plugins (can be found in your hard drive>Library>Internet Plugins) to your desktop (make sure that the plugins are all there), and copying the Plugins folder back to your Library. This helped me. If it still is slow, try moving the plugins back to the folder one at a time and testing Safari.

MissD

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
Safari does not find server

Added the two new DNS but it took away the one that had been "grayed-out." !?

shikano53

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
Follow these steps. I still have this but I've managed to reduce it a great deal.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2453384&start=0&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2457909&tstart=60

Originally Posted by justmyopinion
This will solve the problems of Safari running slow and hanging. I did this about an hour ago and Safari is moving right along at a good clip like it used to before I upgraded to 5.

You may have to restart your computer or router, but maybe not. These numbers should work for everybody

Hi,
I was having this problem as well and the above solution did not fix my problem.
My original DNS address is the one that is on all MACS and is on my Imac that i use downstairs.

After erasing the two above and replacing the DNS with the original I then put in a call to MY APPLE.

What fixed it for me was simply doing what the tech support guy initially told me to try:

Opening the Safari tab
click Reset Safari
Click Ok
Open Safari tab again
Click Empty Cache
and Voila! No more problems and I didn't have to reboot.
It might not work for everyone but my gut is there is no reason to change the original DNS address.

Shikano53

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
One can always try Google dns servers that allow more data tan you're isp allows. 8.8.8.8

Safari sends out more info than some isp's allow and the data backs up into the router causing the router to shut down. open dns and Google dns will help get around the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.