Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcproff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale,FL.
Hello everyone I am back to ask questions to you guys since I usually find the best help on here. I am in the market for a wireless router, now what is compatible with mac's and has alot of features, and securtiy also. I am also looking for a router that is able to connect wired on the back also. I am not interested in the Apple Series e.g Air Port Express etc. I would prefer a Linksys or if anyone has a good recommedation and what features it has I would greatly appreciate it.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
I liked my Linksys for about a month, then it was just a pain. Spend a little cash and get the AirPort.

Sure, you're really paying for ease of use, but after dealing with Linksys and their bi-monthly firmware "updates" (most of which caused the router to perform WORSE than before) I was happy to spring for the AirPort.

markh

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Add a second recommendation to get an Airport. I recently replaced my dlink .11g access point with an Airport express. It just works perfectly. So easy to setup and it just works.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i am using an 3com office connect wireless router but you can also hard wire 4 comps into it. it seems pretty good to me. i have been using it for just over a week and i have had no problems with it so far.

i have also got an airport extreme and that also seems good but you cant hardwire into it.

Estic

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2004
I have a mixed wireless network (windows/mac). I have used only dlink and linksys. I have no problems with my linksys AP and router. Dlink on the other hand had problems reaching the far corners of my house.

JBReed

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2004
Another vote for Airport. Had a dlink wireless system and it worked fine except I couldn't update the firmware, change passwords etc. 'cause the interface only worked with a PC. They *claimed* it worked on a Mac and I could access the interface but the changes never stuck. They *claimed* they were updating the software but phone support was a reai pain. I had to haul it someplace where I could access it via a PC. Got an Airport and have never looked back. It works, plain and simple. Sure it's more expensive, but my time is even more valuable.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
JBReed said:
Another vote for Airport. Had a dlink wireless system and it worked fine except I couldn't update the firmware, change passwords etc. 'cause the interface only worked with a PC. They *claimed* it worked on a Mac and I could access the interface but the changes never stuck. They *claimed* they were updating the software but phone support was a reai pain. I had to haul it someplace where I could access it via a PC. Got an Airport and have never looked back. It works, plain and simple. Sure it's more expensive, but my time is even more valuable.

thats weird, i had a d-link router and it worked fine. i was able to change update everything through the web interface in safari.

as for the original question. go with the Linksys WRT54G it has four ports for wired computers on it. this is much better than any apple product for this reason. the security is very good as well. the firmware is based off of Linksys version of linux so it is completely customizable. there is also quite a following of linux users who have written their own firmware for the Linksys router. this is what i find most interesting as I am able to now use my Linksys in WDS mode then use my airport express to extend the range of my router! i have been a bit disapointed with the airport express. . . the profiles are completely useless so if/when i ever move it i have to completely reset the firmware on it and start from scratch (though now i have the set up files saved so i just upload them every time) Linksys has been the most pain free router that does everything!

TurboLag

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
I for one have problems with the range of the netgear WGR614. If anyone can suggest any ideas to expand the range please do, otherwise grap the Airport Express.

philtech44

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2003
London, UK
NETGEAR DG834 Wireless Router

check out the spec & price of this exceptional piece of kit...

I have installed over 20 of these in Mac/PC environments and nothing comes close for stability, ease of use & fail-safe operation... :cool:

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
russed said:
i am using an 3com office connect wireless router but you can also hard wire 4 comps into it. it seems pretty good to me. i have been using it for just over a week and i have had no problems with it so far.

i have also got an airport extreme and that also seems good but you cant hardwire into it.

Not true. The AirPort Extreme has a LAN port for wired connections. If one isn't enough, it's very easy to attach a $30 router or switch to expand.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I recommend the D-Link 514. Had a Linksys before that and had nothing but problems with it. Not to mention Linksys customer service doesn't support the Mac platform. I use several D-Link products (wireless router, wireless bridge, bluetooth adapter) and they've all worked wonderfully.

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
I have a Linksys. It's OK, but I wont recommend them anymore for Macs because Linksys Mac support sucks like you wouldn't believe (read: it's nonexistent).

I've heard good things about Asante routers. They also seem to have decent Mac support. However, I have no personal experience with these routers.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2004
wow, now you guys have me worried. I bought a linksys wrt54g for my new G5 which is shipping. I was going to connect the wirless router to my g4 and use the airport card in the G5. It isn't connected yet, I am still using my old linksys.

I have always sworn by linksys routers have had any issues with the one I have for my G4 (BEFSR41). now I am starting to wonder about the new wirless one.. argh.. what to do..keep it or exchange it.. shouldn't it just connect to the G4 and work from the get go? or am I going to need their tech support? thanks :confused:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Check out Asanté. I have their FR1104-G and am very happy with it. They make quality networking gear and have been a Mac-friendly company for a long, long time.

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
D-Link 524

I have had a D-Link 524 wireless G router for about 2 months. It has 4 ports for hardwired attachment and seems to be working fine throughout the house with a PM 12" rev C. It has multiple security options, some of which didn't seems compatible with OSX 10.3 (like some encryption modes had options for different bit length) but there were multiple options (screen shot of security options attached).

All configuration is accomplished through web browser and works fine from either my PM or my PC.

Attachments

• Security.jpg
    Security.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 210

markh

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I found that the dlink configurtion via the web interface didnt work that all that well with safari.. So, had to configure it via a win XP machine. But as i said, experience soem dropouts with the dlink and since replacing it with an airport express, no dramas. Vote 1.. Airport ;-)

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Ryan1524 said:
i use an Airport Express. :)

I have an ABS, original graphite, and want to get the AirProt Express. Do I need the ABS? I have been told that the graphite ABS does not work with the AirPort Express and as much as I would love to upgrade to the ABS Extreme, I just can't do both right now. My set up is that both computers are in the same room sometimes I bring my laptop downstairs or into the bedroom, next room over, but that is as far as I go. Do you think that the AirPort Express alone would work for me?

To answer the original posters question, I have an ABS and love it. :D I couldn't image using anything else.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
DEXTERITY said:
wow, now you guys have me worried. I bought a linksys wrt54g for my new G5 which is shipping. I was going to connect the wirless router to my g4 and use the airport card in the G5. It isn't connected yet, I am still using my old linksys.

I have always sworn by linksys routers have had any issues with the one I have for my G4 (BEFSR41). now I am starting to wonder about the new wirless one.. argh.. what to do..keep it or exchange it.. shouldn't it just connect to the G4 and work from the get go? or am I going to need their tech support? thanks :confused:

I have had this router for several months, with two wireless powerbooks, wireless notebook pc and wired desktop pc. No problems whatsoever. I was upgrading from previous linksys, and I just plugged in the new one and it worked. Just changed security over from WEP to WPA, that was all. Web browser interface works okay in Safari too. Just my experience.

asmith

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2004
linksys wrt54g

I have a linksys wrt54g and I've never had any problems. This is my third linksys router. I have a powerbook connected via 802.11g and windows notebook connected via 802.11b. I also have a windows desktop and voip box connected through the router.

ozimax

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2004
Nth Coast NSW
Wireless router

Get AEBS and get going. Hooked up Optus DSL today, (Australia) with a d-link ADSL modem, absolute no brainer, no settings to change, nothing to do (except to reboot after connecting). I am planning on hooking up my son's PC to the network with a PCI wireless card soon, not sure how that will go, best of luck, Max

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.