Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bisz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
ON, Canada
So, we all know that iTunes is a worthless turd, but maybe someone can help me figure something out before I get to the point of chucking my brand new MacBook Pro through the window.

When I go to rename a track or artist in this awful, awful software it almost always kicks me out of the renaming process, and since I'm merrily typing long it takes me to the first song in the library that starts with whatever letter I just happened to press.

Example:

I'm typing in "Bob Sinclar". I get through Bob and the space OK, but then as I'm about to his the S it kicks me out of the renaming process, I hit S, and the iTurd takes me to, say the first State of Shock song in my library.

It does this every! damned! time!

Any help, short of suggesting I run over my computer with my car, would be helpful. Thanks!

ReggaeFire

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2003
Often it will change focus in the browser if the song playing changes, it's far easier to change information via the info window.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Have you actually got the typing box up? Click it once to select the track, and then click again to bring up the box. Sort of a slow double click.

Sorry if it sounds stupid, but sounds like you're just typing and it's going to the letter that you typed.

Bisz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
ON, Canada
No, the typing box is up, this usually happens halfway through the title/artist entry.

It happens too frequently for it to be related to the changing of a song. What else other than song changing causes the focus to be changed?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So, we all know that iTunes is a worthless ...

No, we don't all know that. Millions of us have been using it without problems for years. I have one observation that might help you in getting more responses to your questions. If you simply state your problem, without all the trash-talking about the software, you might get more helpful responses. I would have offered ideas for a solution, but the way you worded your post made me decide not to help. If you take the emotion out of your posts and keep it factual, you're likely to get more factual responses. Just my opinion. I hope it helps in your future posting.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
No, the typing box is up, this usually happens halfway through the title/artist entry.

It happens too frequently for it to be related to the changing of a song. What else other than song changing causes the focus to be changed?

the spacebar is a way to start and stop songs in iTunes, but I don't know if that is the problem really. personally, I use the get info window and have never had problem.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

I'd guess it's some stray trackpad/keyboard brush that's causing the focus to leave the edit box (I haven't really observed this problem in iTunes). The Get Info box is a lot easier, though, FWIW.... if you Get Info on multiple tracks, you can also change common fields (like the Album name).

Also I'm changing your thread title. I don't really care whether you like iTunes or not, but in case it isn't clear, we don't really care for flame wars. Stick to the matter at hand, and if you want to debating the merits of the iTunes software, either make a separate thread on the topic, or else join one of the many existing threads on the topic.

Bisz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
ON, Canada
the spacebar is a way to start and stop songs in iTunes, but I don't know if that is the problem really. personally, I use the get info window and have never had problem.

In this case I don't think using the get info is feasible because I am editing a lot (~500) of songs and it just adds an additional step. I finally got around to importing all of my old mixed CDs (I had lost all those songs in an HDD crash).

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
My iTunes never throws me out of edit mode even if the song changes.

There's a process on your computer that's stealing focus from iTunes I'd reckon. Bring up Activity Monitor and check for CPU usage spikes when the change of focus occurs.

Bisz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
ON, Canada
I'd guess it's some stray trackpad/keyboard brush that's causing the focus to leave the edit box (I haven't really observed this problem in iTunes). The Get Info box is a lot easier, though, FWIW.... if you Get Info on multiple tracks, you can also change common fields (like the Album name).

Also I'm changing your thread title. I don't really care whether you like iTunes or not, but in case it isn't clear, we don't really care for flame wars. Stick to the matter at hand, and if you want to debating the merits of the iTunes software, either make a separate thread on the topic, or else join one of the many existing threads on the topic.

Thanks.

Also, I don't think one guy spending his time complaining about my post instead of addressing the issue constitutes a flame war or merits a thread title change.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Thanks.

Also, I don't think one guy spending his time complaining about my post instead of addressing the issue constitutes a flame war or merits a thread title change.

to get the most help, the more informative and descriptive a title - the better. i'm guessing that is why the title was changed.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks.

I wasn't complaining. I was offering an observation and suggestion that was intended to help you in future posts.

Would you rather get responses from others who share your frustration with iTunes because they can't get it to do what they want, or would you rather get responses from those who have taken the time to learn how to use it well, and therefore don't share your frustration?

Bisz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
ON, Canada
I wasn't complaining. I was offering an observation and suggestion that was intended to help you in future posts.

Would you rather get responses from others who share your frustration with iTunes because they can't get it to do what they want, or would you rather get responses from those who have taken the time to learn how to use it well, and therefore don't share your frustration?

I need help with this ****** software, not with asking questions. If I ever do need help with asking questions I'll make sure to make a thread about it, this, my friend, was not it.

As you said, you don't wish to offer your help on using iTurd and coincidentally I don't wish to listen to your advice on asking questions. Need there be anything else said?

sneedy

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011
Slightly different problem

I'm having a slightly different problem than the one described in the initial post: when editing track info in the editor window (via 'Get Info' or CTRL-I), after a random number of keystrokes (or sometimes no keystrokes at all), iTunes puts the focus on the row for the selected track in the library.

This happens regardless of whether any track is playing or not, regardless of whether I am trying to edit the currently playing track or some other track, and regardless of whether I am editing a track selected in a different window than the one in which a track is playing. It happens every time I open the editor, and it can happen several times for the same track. It's driving me nuts.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse, though I can't see how that would make any difference as you aren't able to select a track in the library (ie manually duplicate the focus-changing behavior) while the editor is open.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.