Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozziesironman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
just picked up an G3 iBook for 50 bucks, works fine, loaded with tiger, fully updated, 600MHz, 384MB ram, 8MB video, cdrw/DVD. i got a game from a buddy at work, unreal tournament, which i have the PC version of, and love it. however, on the iBook, while the system is stronger than what is required, it still lags. i noticed it runs in openGL, i heard there is something called 'rave' or something equivalent for MAC? FYI he got the game off a torrent, and it took me forever to be able to get it to run on mine, could that be screwing something up? also, what are some good ways to speed up the performance? i know the obvious ones.. dont have stuff on desktop, etc. im going to ignore any comments about overclocking.. thats how i killed my old dell D600... LOL. thanks guys

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
First off, I would avoid asking for help with things that you've pirated. That's a big no-no.

Generally, there's not a lot you can do to get it to go faster. Beef up the RAM to max (640 MB, you'll need a 512 MB chip) and you should see a marked improvement. The advice about not putting a lot of stuff on the desktop has an ever so slight effect on when you're navigating around the computer but won't affect your game. Try repairing permissions and running the cron scripts.

Oh, and Rave is used exclusively with the old Voodoo cards, not applicable to your Mac.

ozziesironman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
my point is simply if i were to purchase the retail version of the game, would it possibly run any better? the way its running now, im not gonna keep it. if having a real copy will run better i will purchase it because i also dont agree with pirating software and i feel dirty just having it on my comp.

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
The problem is your video card, an 8mb Rage 128 has a hard time with 3D gaming and UT was, for it's time, pretty demanding. Beefing your RAM up will help with day to day running of the machine but the architecture is ancient. I doubt buying the game will make much difference. I remember running that game on a G4 450 with the first Radeon card and that ran well but on my G3 iMac with a 128 GPU it chugged like mad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.