Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ainjo1919

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
From apple.com?
I heard somewhere you couldn't, but I want to confirm this.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
lol I don't mean to be a jerk, honestly, but it AMAZES me how many people still don't understand modern day debit cards, or even gift cards...

If it has a Visa or MasterCard logo, it can be used as if it is a credit card. Anywhere.

ImJustCameron

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
They may not but there could be a little misunderstanding here. It is saying all over the net that you cant use a debit card even if it has the logo. I was told that today when i went into my local AT&T store. The reason they are doing this is to keep people from withdrawing money from the checking account before the actual phone is billed(on the 24th). But how will they know if you are ordering with a debit card online? Its a shame the things people will do that just make it harder for everyone else...

Hope this info helped...

Cameron:apple:

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
They may not but there could be a little misunderstanding here. It is saying all over the net that you cant use a debit card even if it has the logo. I was told that today when i went into my local AT&T store. The reason they are doing this is to keep people from withdrawing money from the checking account before the actual phone is billed(on the 24th). But how will they know if you are ordering with a debit card online? Its a shame the things people will do that just make it harder for everyone else...

Hope this info helped...

Cameron:apple:

The only reason why this would be stupid (not to let people order using a debit card with a logo) would be because then if someone does not have a credit card, they would not be able to get a phone. Not selling a phone is probably not what these companies want.

agoat

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
This is a transcript from ATT online rep, also I call up ATT corp store and they same thing, you can use debit card. Not sure if the reps are reliable.

Jane: I read somewhere u can't use debit card like visa bank card to preorder the new iphone?
Kimberlee: Yes you would be able to use a debit card to pre-order a phone.
Jane: According to AT&T's press release, customers who want to preorder should use a credit card as debit cards are not allowed to preorder.
Jane: this was from the press release pdf file i think
Kimberlee: I will look, but I doubt that is correct.
Kimberlee: One moment please.
Jane: k
Kimberlee: You will be able to use your debit card to preorder.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
lol I don't mean to be a jerk, honestly, but it AMAZES me how many people still don't understand modern day debit cards, or even gift cards...

If it has a Visa or MasterCard logo, it can be used as if it is a credit card. Anywhere.

First, I will say that you are about 98% correct on this. In most cases, they work anywhere a credit card will work.

There are a very few exceptions, though. Renting a car is the biggest one. Almost every car rental place will reject a debit card, even when running it as a credit card. There are other exceptions, but I can't remember what they are.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
If it there is a 1 iPhone limit per person, does that mean I cannot place both my wife's and my new iPhone on 1 credit card? Or, do I have to charge my iPhone on my card and her iPhone on her card?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Why would pre-ordering be any different than placing any other type of order on Apple.com? I've never done a pre-order but once you have the items in your cart shouldn't you have all the same payment options available like credit card, debit card, bill me later??? Maybe someone who pre-ordered the iPad can chime in.

jgmachine

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2006
My girlfriend just went into the AT&T store to pre-order and they told her that she couldn't use a debit card to pre-order, that it had to be a credit card. Then she asked if she could pre-order online with a debit card and he said no. I'm guessing he doesn't know what he's talking about and it will still work... But haven't been able to get through yet to find out :p

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY

Actually that's not true. I've had gift cards from Visa before and have struggled to buy gas using them. I know only a few gas stations that accept gift cards, most just told me "it was rejected because it's a gift card; we don't take gift cards"

Then with my debit card, many years ago I struggled to order a flat screen TV online. They simply didn't take debit for order > $2000 and I had to either use a credit card or wire (!) the money to them. I opted for the latter and eventually got my TV delivered to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.