Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gray Tragedy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
I have large video files that I want to be able to watch on my iPod, but I do not want to keep them on my computer because they're so large. I would like to keep them on an external hard drive while at the same time keeping them on my iPod as well (i.e., not in iTunes or on my computer at all). Is there any way to do this?

Thanks!

Matty-p

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
try putting the movie on external hd then dragging it into the movies section of itunes then sync but the hd will have to be plugged in every time you sync (unless you want the video removed from the ipod)

btw just out of intrest how big are the files if you need you can just res them down in fcp or even imovie

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Yes there is: import these movies into iTunes, Sync them to your iPod, then delete them from your computer - C://Documents and Settings/User/My Documents/My Music/iTunes Media/Movies - but LEAVE THEM IN ITUNES, otherwise they will be removed from your iPod, as long as they are left in iTunes they will stay on your iPod, but not physically be on your computer

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Open iTunes / preferences.

Go to Advanced and uncheck:
copy files to iTunes media folder.

Then just drag your movies from external drives to iTunes.

However you need to add your music manually to your itunes folder first before adding to your iTunes (so it's easier to migrate in the future).

Yes there is: import these movies into iTunes, Sync them to your iPod, then delete them from your computer - C://Documents and Settings/User/My Documents/My Music/iTunes Media/Movies - but LEAVE THEM IN ITUNES, otherwise they will be removed from your iPod, as long as they are left in iTunes they will stay on your iPod, but not physically be on your computer

That's not a good way of doing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.