Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 18, 2004, 05:40 AM   #1
whw5
macrumors regular

How do I keep itunes from importing the same song twice/delete all these extra copies

For some strange reason, multiple copies of almost every song I own are stored on my computer. Having them there is not much of a pain, even though they do take up a good deal of space. However, how do I keep itunes from importing these extra songs twice? Its a real pain because my music library has 2 or 3 copies of every song. Is there a way to keep itunes from doing this or do I have to go through by had and do this manually? Any help is great!!!
whw5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 07:51 AM   #2
wordmunger
macrumors 603

Whenever I rip a CD, iTunes prompts me if it turns out I had already imported it. Maybe something's wrong with your preferences? Do you specify copying the music to the iTunes folder when adding a song to your library? That might be it.
wordmunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:44 AM   #3
decksnap
macrumors 68030

If you have the preference set to 'keep iTunes music organized' and 'copy music to iTunes folder when importing' you shouldn't have duplicate problems, so long as you are using correct names.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 07:40 PM   #4
cb911
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to cb911 Send a message via AIM to cb911
if, like me, you dont' have your iTunes music folder 'organized' (because you dont' want each single track going in it's own folder, especially when it doesnt' have a proper album name, making it impossible to find...) there are a few sites out there that have some nifty AppleScripts to deal with all sorts of situations in iTunes. may be a script that you could use.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store